New Lounger
    Thanks

Macromedia Flash in message

Until recenty, I've been able to receive Macromedia Flash messages in the body of emails. Then, with no changes to Outlook, (or IE,for that matter) that I'm aware of, I can no longer receive the flash...I just get the flash loading message. The presentation opens fine in the outlook web version, so there must be some setting in the desktop version.

Needless to say, I can find no help from the paperclip or from the MS website.

I'm running Outlook 2000 on NT 4.0

Thanks for any help.

pt

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Macromedia Flash in message

did you install the SR 1 security update or SP2? That could be disabling the active content. Or the security settings in tools > options was changed to disallow it.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Mary,

I checked all settings and turned *everything* on. Still nothing. I don't believe that I installed any security patches. I get the little script icon in the right hand side on the preview pane that says "This HTML message contains script, which the Outlook Preview Pane cannot display. This may effect how the message appears. To view this message with the script running, open the message." Needless to say, that didn't work, either. Any other thoughts? Thanks.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

do some attachments (exe and url are two common ones) display a message in the infobar that they were potentially dangerous and are blocked from access? if yes, you have the security patch. actually, i think flash attachments are a blocked type, so you may not have it.

look in tools | options | security and set the zone to internet and test the message again. it should work when the message is opened. it will not run in preview. you can also test it more by setting internet zone (custom button) low.

if you do, be sure to reset it when done and also to return outlook security to restricted zone. Otherwise a virus could wipe you out before you know what has hit you.

New Lounger
    Thanks

you wrote:
    >>do some attachments (exe and url are two common ones) display a message in the infobar that they were potentially dangerous and are blocked from access? if yes, you have the security patch. actually, i think flash attachments are a blocked type, so you may not have it. <<

no, this doesn't happen.

>>look in tools | options | security and set the zone to internet and test the message again. it should work when the message is opened. it will not run in preview. you can also test it more by setting internet zone (custom button) low.<<<
    nope, that didn't make a difference, either.

I'm totally baffled, 'cause it used to work, with no problems. I thought maybe there was a new firewall on campus, but I am able to access from the webserver, so that can't be it. It's something on my machine, but no changes/combo of settings seems to make a difference.

Any other ideas?