3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

word table appears twice on screen, wont delete (Win XP / Word 2k)

I am editing someone elses document, they put two tables in it on succeding pages. Now I need to combine them into one table on one page. The version I have now shows the lower half of the second table twice, at the bottom of page one and again at the top of page two. I tried to delete the extra table rows to no avail - they seem to reappear somehow. The print view shows them both, even when I think I managed to remove the unwanted table.

I recall reading somewhere that big Word docs do this sometimes, but thought they resolved themselves - something to do with memory I think.

Any advice gratefully received

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: word table appears twice on screen, wont delete (Win XP / Word 2k)

I would close the document without saving, then quit and restart Word, and reopen the document.
    Make sure that you see non-printing characters such as paragraph marks and page breaks.
    Also make sure that the paragraphs in the tables, especially those in the first row of the second table, do not have "Keep with next" or "Page break before" ticked.
    Click immediately below the first table, and press Delete repeatedly until the tables merge.
    Does it work now?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: word table appears twice on screen, wont delete (Win XP / Word 2k)

Thank you, yes that did help.
    The key was in the properties of the table rows, some of which did have boxes ticked which they should not have.
    On fixing these the table began behaving.

Thanks again!