Lounger
    Thanks

eanthology v norton

As I have said before, Woody's is great for help. I have used it for Word and Excel and received great help. I am sure it will be the same in this forum!!!

I have used eanthology for stopping pop ups and it is great.

I got a message from it today saying that I may have a virus problem and to use their virus scanner to check. I did and it came up saying that I had a virus called - Trojan.surferbar. (Not sure whether that was the name or what it was and where located. )

Eanthology said that it could be fixed but that I needed to go online to so do. I did. Then I was told that to have it removed I would have to join the club and pay money. I declined.

I used Norton and it could find no virus. Eanthology searched over 12,000 files and Norton over 10,000.

The only problem is that I cannot get ANY search engine bar (the quick download and easy access thingy) to appear under my IE Explorer bar. I also use mozilla.

Do you think I have a problem or does eanthology?

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks

Re: eanthology v norton

Think you may have a problem. Go to this site for a description and a removal tool. Also, from what I have read, EAnthology is spyware itself. Google eanthology and you will find many articles and removal tools.

If it's a good pop-up stopper you are looking for, why not install the Google Tool Bar ? It's free, doesn't contain spyware, and has a built in pop-up blocker.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I'd go one further to John's remarks and tell you to download Mozilla Firefox...that will stop 95% (or more) of the malware and pop-ups right there!
    -Mark

Lounger
    Thanks

Yet again Woody's Lounge has helped me!!!!

I have downloaded spyhunter and it immediately highlighted eanthology as spyware. I shall delete it pronto.

I have downloaded the google toolbar BUT it does not automatically drop down when I load IE. I have to go into View and then click.

Any ideas?

Once again, thanks everybody - I may try Firefox!!!!

Thanks

Try View>Toolbars, then UnCheck Lock the Toolbars. Then Click View>Toolbars>and check Google. Then View>Toolbars> and check Lock the Toolbars. This may resolve it.

Edited to add: I agree with Mark's Firefox suggestion completely. Not only are pop ups blocked almost completely, it, unlike IE, is not abysmally full of security holes.
    John

Lounger
    Thanks

I have used spyhunter.

Er, rebel, did you know that once spyhunter finds the spies it then asks for money to have them deleted?

Any free s/ware you can suggest?

Thanks

Ad-Aware , Spybot and Spyware Blaster are probably the most widely used (and free).

Added: BTW, when you reply to a post, don't reply to your own post. Reply in the message your are replying to. That way, the poster receives an email message that you have replied to his/her post. Otherwise, unless the poster checks the thread again, he/she may never know that you have responded or are asking another question.
    John

Lounger
    Thanks

Many thanks Rebel.

I have used your tip and AVG is now working away on my computer just now.

I will let you all know how I get on.

Lounger
    Thanks

Many thanks about the reply tip. I thought that when you replied to a thread every person who had posted to the thread was told.

You live and learn.

I am about to download Spyblaster

Thanks

Don't forget about Ad-Aware and Spybot. SpywareBlaster is maily used to prevent spyware being installed. The other two can detect and remove spyware if it has been installed. All three products will give you a pretty comprehensive defense against this junk.
    John

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Rebel. I am now downloading spybot. After using spyblaster, I thought that it was to stop the nasties infecting but NOT to investigate your HD. I will let you know how I get on.