Star Lounger
    Thanks

Suppress Middle Name (Outlook 2000)

Using WINXP with OL2k. When sending email to a contact, the recipient's full name is shown instead of the email address. This is a nice feature except that I have recently added some Middle Names to some family contacts. Now the full name shown includes the middle name. Is there some way to suppress the showing of the middle name?

TIA

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Suppress Middle Name (Outlook 2000)

I don't have access to OL 2000 any more, but from recollection you can set the Display Name for the e-mail to be different from the Contact Name by right clicking the e-mail address in the Contact details and setting Display name under the e-mail address Properties. (In 2002 and 2003 the Display Name is more accessible.)
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the idea, John. That approach lets one change the displayed name, but only in a limited sense (Lastname, First Middle or First Middle Last). It does not offer a "no middle name" option. I'm getting ready to move the middle names into the Notes area instead. Seems like this should not be necessary, but I have run out of other ideas.

Thanks again,
    Rob G.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Rob, perhaps I don't understand what you are trying to do. I thought that you were trying to suppress the display of middle name in a sent e-mail. There is no Display Name option to suppress Middle name, only to sort the display order, but you can edit the Contact Display Name to be whatever you want. If you have 47 cousins all named Johnson J-something Johansen, you can edit the Display Name for Contact Johnson Jehosephat Johansen to Display as 'Bonehead' if you want.
    UTC -7ąDS

Star Lounger
    Thanks

DOH! For some reason my psych tells me that I have to 'select' from the options presented in a drop-down list. I totally missed the concept of editing that field. Thanks for your patience and persistence. May all success and glory be yours. Now maybe I'm getting a little carried away.

Good on ya, mate. The edit works like a charm.

Rob G.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Glad you got what you needed. It would have helped if I could remember -exactly- how to access the Display name under OL 2000.
    UTC -7ąDS