New Lounger
    Thanks

Invalid Argument (Saving Query Problem) (Access 2000)

When I try to save a query that I have made changes to I get the following "Invalid Argument" error. What do I need to do to fix this problem?

Invalid argument. (Error 3001)
    You tried to perform an operation that involves a routine in a DLL, and one of the arguments to the routine is invalid. Check your entry to make sure you have specified the correct arguments, and then try the operation again.

This error also occurs when you attempt to use mutually exclusive constants in an argument to a method, such as specifying both dbConsistent and dbInconsistent in the options argument to the OpenRecordset method.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Invalid Argument (Saving Query Problem) (Access 2000)

Does the problem persist after a) quitting and restarting Access or [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] compacting the database?

If so, can you switch from design view to SQL view while editing the query? If so, please copy the SQL to the clipboard (Ctrl+C) and paste it into a reply.

New Lounger
    Thanks

The problem persists after quiting and restarting Access. When I open a query that I have successfully made before and make a change it gives me that error. If I close the query and say no to saving changes and then open it back up it works fine in its original format. And again changes can not be saved. Here is the SQL.

SELECT Converted_Approvals.LAST_NAME
    FROM Data LEFT JOIN Converted_Approvals ON Data.ID = Converted_Approvals.ID;

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I assume this is the SQL for the original, working query. What is the change you are trying to effect?

New Lounger
    Thanks

This error also occurs when I create a new query. I gave you the wrong SQL. THe following is the correct SQL. The very first table and field after "SELECT" needs to change to Data.FULL_NUMBER. That is the first change I need to make. THere will be others that I have not yet determined. However, this problem is preventing me from ever creating and saving new queries.

SELECT Converted_Approvals.FULL_NUMBER, Converted_Approvals.FIRST_NAME, Converted_Approvals.LAST_NAME, Converted_Approvals.APPROVAL_ROLE, Converted_Approvals.CHAIRMAN_LAST_NAME, Converted_Approvals.CTE_LAST_NAME, Converted_Approvals.TDA_LAST_NAME, Converted_Approvals.SUPSHIP_LAST_NAME, Converted_Approvals.GOVERNMENT_LAST_NAME, Converted_Approvals.CTE_LAST_NAME2, Converted_Approvals.CTE_LAST_NAME3, Converted_Approvals.TDA_LAST_NAME2, Converted_Approvals.TDA_LAST_NAME3, Converted_Approvals.SUPSHIP_LAST_NAME2, Converted_Approvals.SUPSHIP_LAST_NAME3, Converted_Approvals.GOVERNMENT_LAST_NAME2, Converted_Approvals.GOVERNMENT_LAST_NAME3, Converted_Approvals.CHAIRMAN_LAST_NAME2, Converted_Approvals.CHAIRMAN_LAST_NAME3, Converted_Approvals.APPROVED, Converted_Approvals.CTE_CLOSE_DATE, Converted_Approvals.CTE_CLOSE_DATE2, Converted_Approvals.TDA_CLOSE_DATE2, Converted_Approvals.TDA_CLOSE_DATE3, Converted_Approvals.SUPSHIP_CLOSE_DATE, Converted_Approvals.SUPSHIP_CLOSE_DATE2, Converted_Approvals.SUPSHIP_CLOSE_DATE3, Converted_Approvals.GOVERNMENT_CLOSE_DATE, Converted_Approvals.GOVERNMENT_CLOSE_DATE2, Converted_Approvals.GOVERNMENT_CLOSE_DATE3, Converted_Approvals.CHAIRMAN_CLOSE_DATE, Converted_Approvals.CHAIRMAN_CLOSE_DATE2, Converted_Approvals.CHAIRMAN_CLOSE_DATE3, Converted_Approvals.CTE_APPROVAL_DATE, Converted_Approvals.CTE_APPROVAL_DATE2, Converted_Approvals.CTE_APPROVAL_DATE3, Converted_Approvals.TDA_APPROVAL_DATE, Converted_Approvals.TDA_APPROVAL_DATE2, Converted_Approvals.TDA_APPROVAL_DATE3, Converted_Approvals.SUPSHIP_APPROVAL_DATE, Converted_Approvals.SUPSHIP_APPROVAL_DATE2, Converted_Approvals.SUPSHIP_APPROVAL_DATE3, Converted_Approvals.GOVERNMENT_APPROVAL_DATE, Converted_Approvals.GOVERNMENT_APPROVAL_DATE2, Converted_Approvals.GOVERNMENT_APPROVAL_DATE3, Converted_Approvals.CHAIRMAN_APPROVAL_DATE, Converted_Approvals.CHAIRMAN_APPROVAL_DATE2, Converted_Approvals.CHAIRMAN_APPROVAL_DATE3, Data.SHIPYARD_TEST_NO, Data.REVISION, Data.CPR_NO, Data.HULL, Data.ADDENDUM, Data.OPEN_CLOSED, Data.ACTIONEE, Data.CLOSE_DATE, Data.TDA_DISPOSITION, Data.DSS_SOC, Data.EST_COMPL_DATE, Data.JTG, Data.STATE, Data.KEY_EVENT, Data.NEED_DATE, Data.NOTES, Data.INITIAL_DATE, Data.PPD_NUM, Data.PRIORITY, Data.PROBLEM_LOCATION, Data.PROBLEM_TYPE, Data.PTR_NUM, Data.PTR_REQUIRED, Data.PTR_URGENCY, Data.REF_ER, Data.SUBSAFE, Data.SSCI, Data.SUBSYSTEM
    FROM Converted_Approvals RIGHT JOIN Data ON Converted_Approvals.FULL_NUMBER = Data.FULL_NUMBER
    WHERE (((Converted_Approvals.FULL_NUMBER) Like "*" & [Forms]![query_builder2]![FULL_NUMBER] & "*"));

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If the error already occurs when you try to create a new query, I fear that your database has become corrupt. Try the following:
    - Create a new blank database.
    - Import as many database objects (tables, queries, ...) as possible from the problem database into the new one.
    - See if you can create/edit a query in the new database.