3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mail Merge to e-mail (Word 2003)

In Word 2003, the mail-merge feature includes a Merge to E-Mail option. When used this way, it sends individual e-mails to the list of people you select. Word can merge directly from the Outlook Contacts list, but it doesn't handle distribution lists. I created a folder within Contacts to hold the list. I launched Microsoft Word 2003 and selected Tools | Letters and Mailings | Mail Merge to bring up the mail-merge wizard. I chose E-mail messages and click on Next: Starting document, then click on Next: Select recipients. I clicked on the option Select from Outlook contacts and click on the Choose Contacts Folder link. The the "Select Contact List Folder" box pops up with "Contacts" in it. If I click on Contacts or OK I then get the following error message: This operation cannot be completed because of dialog or database engine failures. Please try again later.

Any help appreciated

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Mail Merge to e-mail (Word 2003)

I haven't played with this feature in 2003, but in 2002 merges initiated from Word experienced all sorts of weird problems. On the other hand, if you started the merge from Outlook things behaved just fine. You might try that approach from the Contact folder you created for the merge. (I assume you want to send individualized emails to contacts, and not a single email with all recipients listed in the To: or the BCC: fields. If it's the latter, you can simply create a distribution list in your standard Contacts folder.)
    Wendell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I tried your suggestion on a small folder with just a few names and it seemed to work. I wanted to send individualized e-mails for 2 reason: 1) My ISP (MSN) has restrictions about how many you can send at a time so this way I can send them all at once eventhough they go out one at a time and 2) I am having problems with e-mail to certain ISP's (particularly AOL) and I thought that maybe their spam filters were tossing out the bulk mail and this way it will be received as an individual e-mail. Does this make sense ? Thanks for your help.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I agree that it is often desirable to send an email with a single address - for one thing you aren't sending everyone's email address to everyone. It also afords an opportunity to personalize the email. It will however clutter up your sent mail folder considerably. In one situation we were sending over 30K emails through a merge, and Exchange took forever to delete the sent copies of the email. Unfortunately, even if you check the option not to save the email in the sent mail folder, the merge process still does that. Just an FYI.
    Wendell