5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mail Merge (2002)

A colleague is trying to do a mail merge, but is having problems. She can only try to merge using the wizard, and that doesn't merge properley. When she picks her data source, which is a spread sheet, a box comes up with sheet1,sheet2,sheet3. Even though there is only one sheet in the spreadsheet. None of the Merge fields she wants to use are present. I use Word 2003, and the setup for merging looks totally different, and easier. She can't remember the last time she did a mail merge, but didn't have this problem before. Can anyone advise us what the problem could be. Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mail Merge (2002)

I hate to say it, but it sounds like she selected the wrong Excel workbook.

There is a setting I prefer for mail merges: in the General tab of Tools | Options..., let her tick "Confirm Conversion at Open". When selecting a data source for a mail merge, a dialog will be displayed asking how to connect to it. OLE DB is the default option, but sometimes DDE is more convenient (it preserves number formats set in Excel, for example.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.PNG (6.0 KB, 0 views)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Even if she had selected the wrong workbook, there would be merge fields to select, but there aren't. It's the right book anyway, I tried it. It's just strange that the merge toolbar looks and acts totally different than in my version (2003). I didn't have this trouble with the '97 version.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't have Word 2003, so I don't know how mail merge works there. There was a radical change between Word 2000 and Word 2002: the old Mail Merge Helper with 3 steps was replaced by the Mail Merge task pane with 6 steps, and the toolbar changed too. But I have never seen Word 2002 show worksheets that weren't there or fail to display field names.

Attached is a screenshot of the default Mail Merge toolbar in Word 2002.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.PNG (2.3 KB, 0 views)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Done it how you suggested, and it's worked, thanks. But I also think the problem may have been that she had two rows in the spreadsheet that were titles. Anyway, thanks again Hans.