Star Lounger
    Thanks

Moving bookmarks (Word 2000, Windows 2000)

Dear All,

A strange thing happened to me in Word yesterday and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced moving bookmarks.

In my document I have many bookmarks so that I can refer to the text on other pages. Yesterday I noticed that many of the bookmarks had moved by a few characters to the right. So instead of "[The quick] brown fox" it became "Th[e quick br]own fox" and so on. Sometimes this meant that a bookmark covered two table cells instead of one.

The problem is that my cross references are incorrect. Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone know how it happened or what the solution is?

TIAs as always,

David

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Moving bookmarks (Word 2000, Windows 2000)

I haven't seen this happen, but I fear that your document is basically corrupt - one of the internal pointers maintained by Word has got a wrong value.

If all bookmarks have shifted the same number of characters, you might be able to restore things to normal by running a macro like this:

Sub ShiftBookmarks()
    Dim i As Integer
    For i = 1 To ActiveDocument.Bookmarks.Count
    With ActiveDocument.Bookmarks(i)
    .Start = .Start - 3
    .End = .End - 3
    End With
    Next i
    End Sub

This one will shift all bookmarks 3 characters to the left. If you want to shift to the right, use + 3 instead of - 3 and place the line that shifts the End above the line that shifts the Start. Make a backup copy of the document before trying this.

If the shifts are not constant, I fear there is little you can do.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Moving bookmarks (Word 2000, Windows 2000)

Thanks for your swift response.

If you haven't come accross this before then I guess it's a rare phenomenom. Out of maybe 50 bookmarks maybe 10 had moved. When I saw garbage in a few places due to the book mark encompassing two cells in a table or a graphic plus some text I got a bit of a shock but fortunately I realised what had happened.

The file is "old". It is a user guide that I have been updating constantly for well over a year. It is now 300+ pages and 3MB.

Thanks again for writing -- I appreciate it.

David