Lounger
    Thanks

Mousewheel scroll on steroids

This is probably more a Windows than an Office question although the problem manifests itself in all Office applications. I refer to the way scrolling behaves when it's being invoked via the mouse wheel. You're scrolling slowly and want to jump ahead a little bit so you try to increase the scroll rate and, presto, you're at the end of the document. Anybody who uses a wheelmouse will have been annoyed by this behavior. The question is: is there any way to fix it (e.g., a third-party tool or some really clever Registry hack)? I post the question here because if WOPR lounge lizards don't have the answer, nobody does.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mousewheel scroll on steroids

you can't control the speed, except by placement of the mouse. closer to the edge, the faster it moves. you may be able to adjust the speed a little with in the mouse applet, but it will affect the mouse in all of windows.

learn to use the page up and down keys... or other ways to move. it saved my sanity and i can work much faster now. i can thank the scrolling speed for pushing me away from the mouse and to the keyboard.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John,
    I've noticed this behavior in Word, but not Excel from the same Office2K installation (9.0.2), using a Synaptics TouchPad on my laptop.

Mary's post shamed me that I'm not up to speed with page controls, but there are still times outside of virtual sex when a responsive, pseudo-analog, motor-kinesthetic interface is just right. Scrolling Excel lists scanning for anomalous data is one. I really appreciate the variable speed control there, and can

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John,
    I've noticed this behavior in Word, but not Excel from the same Office2K installation (9.0.2), using a Synaptics TouchPad on my laptop.

Mary's post shamed me that I'm not up to speed with page controls, but there are still times outside of virtual sex when a responsive, pseudo-analog, motor-kinesthetic interface is just right. Scrolling Excel lists scanning for anomalous data is one. I really appreciate the variable speed control there, and can

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I must admit the one that saved my sanity was learning that holding down the Shift key whilst using any key-combination to move around enables you to select from the start point to wherever you want to go! Admittedly you sometimes need a lot of fingers, eg Shift, Ctrl and up/down all at once, but it's a hell of a lot more accurate than trying to highlight with a mouse, especially if you want to highlight partial words (and yes, I do know you can turn this feature off, but there are times I WANT to highlight whole words, so this way I get the best of both worlds!).

If you want to learn more, look it up in the Word97 Help under 'Keys, shortcut keys' - and I'm sure it's under something similar in other programs/versions.

Happy (key)stroking!
    Beryl M