3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Text loses carriage returns

I have created a basic page which allows a user to add and edit information that is stored in a database on the web server. One of the fields on this page is for text that the user pastes in from (I think) Word. The text contains and is formatted with carriage returns when it is pasted into the text field. The text still contains carriage returns when it is stored in the database. However, when the text is redisplayed in a web page, all the carriage returns appear to have gone (or been ignored) and the text displays as a great big ugly lump.

I'm using the following to display the text:

<%=(rstArticles.Fields.Item("ArticleText").Value)% >

where ArticleText is the name of the field in the database.

How do I get the text to retain/respond to its carriage returns when redisplayed?

Ian

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Text loses carriage returns

Yes, thanks, I worked it out after submitting my post. I'm spending too much time with asp, I'm forgetting the basic facts of HTML.

Ian

Thanks

If you use a lower case br, the Lounge scripts "implement" it, but if you use an upper case BR, it is preserved somehow. Weird but useful for posts like the above.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I've always used a Replace function to display the Carriage Return character(s) with the < BR > tag:

yourString.Replace(Chr(13),"< BR >")

You'll have to check to see which carriage return characters are actually stored in the database (Chr(13), Chr(10), etc).

Hope this helps

EDIT: I added spaces between the "<" and "BR" and ">" to prevent the Lounge from displaying a break. (Thanks for the reminder, Jefferson.)