2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lost clip art images (Word 2002)

When I do a search for clip art files in Word (and other Office programs) the images are no longer returned in the search. I get a series of text files, no matter what criteria I enter. I have compared the file locations of which the program is searching with a colleague of mine (hers works fine) and all of the settings are identical. I have also cleared my temporary internet files and tried to search again. Is there anything else I can try to get the images back?

Thanks

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Lost clip art images (Word 2002)

It's difficult to see exactly what your problem is from your statements - could you give a bit more detail, please?

For instance, what exactly are you doing when you search (ie please list steps taken)? When you say you get a series of text files, do you mean the search returns a list of names instead of showing you thumbnails (in which case change the View to 'thumbnail'), or the results consist of file names ending .txt?
    Beryl M

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I go to the insert menu, select 'Picture' then 'clipart'. In the Clipart task pane I type 'torch' into the 'Search for' field, searching in 'All Collections' with the results covering 'All media types'. All checkboxes are checked on when I click on the collections and media types drop down lists. I have tried other words as well with no luck. When I click 'Go', it takes a really long time to look for pictures and the results look like text file icons. I have attached an image of the results.
    When I try to click on one of the text file icons to insert into the document I get a message saying "unable to find ... <filename> and the location is in my temporary internet files. This is also happening in other office programs. Nothing has been installed recently and I have also tried rebooting.
    Thanks for your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Do you have an application-control firewall like ZoneAlarm installed? I wonder whether Word is being denied permission to access the web (Microsoft's site). Actually, there are so many possible security wrinkles, I feel a headache coming on.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I don't have that firewall installed. It worked up until a couple of days ago and nothing has been changed on my machine!

Thanks

I had an opportunity to test it. My firewall did ask for clearance, but rather than mentioning Word it referred to the "Media Catalog Object." After I okayed it, it did retrieve some torches. (Illustration attached.) According to the log, after the catalog make a request of mgn.microsoft.com, it connected to office.microsoft.com, from which it retrieve 48K worth of data. Obviously that's where the clipart really is. (Unfortunately, I didn't capture the specific URL at office.microsoft.com.)

I recently installed Office XP Service Pack 3 (SP3). (SP3 shows in Word's Help>About dialog.) Not sure whether this matters.

Maybe there is something wrong with your Media Catalog Object or its ability to connect to the two web site (mgn.microsoft.com and office.microsoft.com). I'm not sure of the cause, but perhaps try Detect and Repair for the catalog object, and see whether you can access those two sites using IE.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Chona:
    That's really strange. Do a search for *.wmf on your computer (outside of Word). What icon do you have for it? If you double click on one, what application tries to open it?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

What would be the full name of one of these resulting documents? For instance, the first shows as "dlgxasset..." - what is the rest of its name, including suffix if shown? (it should show in a tooltip if you hover over it, or on selecting it - single click - the full name should show either there or in the status bar at the bottom).
    Beryl M