New Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2003 Template misbehaving (Word 2003 )

Greetings.

I was hoping someone would be able to help me figure out what is going on. I created a template in Word 2003 that we use for creating user guides. It is stored out on a network drive that we all have access to; it is not stored locally. Two of three writers who use the template do not have any trouble at all. We are able to open a copy, add our text, save the documents and get on with our life. A third co-worker, however, has issues. She opens a copy and does her work, but for some reason, the template almost always ends up altered when she is done. Mainly, the Body_main style I created is dropped in some places and changes to the "Normal" style, which is Times New Roman (there is no Times New Roman in the template that we use) instead of Arial, which is what the Body_main style is set to. The date of the file also changes. Some other formatting is lost as well, mostly indents. It

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word 2003 Template misbehaving (Word 2003 )

Hi Dina:
    I don't have Word 2003, & your first thougt about Templates & add-ins/Automatically update document styles would have been my first guess, too. However, when you say she opens a copy of your template, that shouldn't be necessary. If the template is in the Workgroup folder, the user should be able to click on File/New... to create a new document based on the template. (Frankly, I think it's faster to create a menu or dropdown toolbar that contains macros to create a new document based on commonly used templates.)

If the template is being changed when changes are made to the document, perhaps your user has either opened the template directly or used "Add to template" for the given style.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I'd be inclined to go and watch her work with your template and see what she does - not to mention check the settings on her machine (I never take a user's word for it when they swear something is the case on their machine - they nearly always get it wrong!).

As Phil suggested, she is using File, New to open her copy, not actually taking a copy of the template to work on, isn't she?!
    Beryl M

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Phil.

Thanks for your reply.

We have various templates out on our network, none of which are in the Workgroup folder. Your idea about checking the styles for "add to template" was a good one. Unfortunately, not a one was set up that way. [img]/forums/images/smilies/sad.gif[/img]

On another note, I decided to start removing as many references to the Normal style as possible. I had some styles that were based on Normal and it was my thinking that it would probably be best to not have any based on Normal. I figured it couldn't hurt to clean up the template anyway.

Dina

New Lounger
    Thanks

That's a very good idea, Beryl...especially since she often does things in a roundabout way. Thanks for replying.

Actually, we have the document template out on the network, so she is not opening it from File => New. She says she double-clicks the .DOT file to open a blank document based on the template. I've watched her do it, but not with the document in question. It's a mystery.

If I ever figure it out, I'll be sure to post it here. In the meantime, I'll just keep my fingers crossed it doesn't happen again.

Thanks,
    Dina
    (Denver, Colorado)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>Actually, we have the document template out on the network, so she is not opening it from File => New.<hr>

Why don't you designate the WorkgroupTemplates folder (Tools | Options | File locations) to the network folder where the template sits. Then users don't have to look for it via Explorer, but can access it from File | New in Word.