3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Headers/Footers Page Numbers (Word 2003)

I need some help with headers/footers and pages numbering. I am helping a professor with a book and his publisher has very specific requirements as I am sure all publishers do. The book is near completion and I did not type the book. I am going through and trying to fix it. Here are the requirements for the individual chapters. Different even (author and page number) and odd (title and page number) page headers. The first page of every chapter has no header and the page number is at the bottom in a different format (-4-) the page number in the headers is regular format (4). I was going through and inserting section breaks before and after each first chapter page. Sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't. What is the easiest method of accomplishing this?
    Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Headers/Footers Page Numbers (Word 2003)

Each chapter should be a single section (if possible), so only insert a section break at the end of each chapter (except for the last chapter - no need to insert a section break at the end of the document). When you have put in the section breaks:
    Go to the start of the document.
    Select File | Page Setup...
    Activate the Layout tab.
    Tick the 'Different odd and even' check box and the 'Different first page' check box.
    Make sure that 'Apply to' is set to Whole Document.
    Click OK.
    Now select View | Header and Footer.
    Set the first page header (blank), the even page header and the odd page header and similar for the footers.
    If the chapter titles are formatted in a separate style, such as Heading 1, you can insert the chapter title using a StyleRef field; you wouldn't need to set up separate headers for each section.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Melanie,
    Based on your post, I would recommend that you use the MASTER DOCUMENTS feature that is available on the outlining toolbar. The advantage with this approach is that each sub document ( that all together makes up the master doc) is a seperate file. The master doc takes care of this when you split the large doc using the create sub document button. Once you have split the "book" into sub documents, each induvidual sub doc file can have its own headers and footers. This will eventually filter through to the master!
    Regards,
    Rudi

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Hans - should the section breaks at the beginning of the chapters be continuous or next page or something different?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Next page - otherwise the 'first page' in 'different first page' for the following chapter would be the bottom half of the last page of the previous chapter ... if you see what I mean ...!
    Beryl M

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

As Beryl says, it should not be a continuous section break. Chapters in a book usually begin on a new page anyway. If a new chapter should always begin on a right-hand page, you should use an Odd page section break, otherwise use a Next page section break.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for the help so far - I have inserted the next page breaks. I already had it set for different odd and even and different first page. I changed the "apply to" to entire document (I had it at each individual section). I am still having a problem with the page numbers. If I change the first page of the chapter to be at the bottom, this works fine but if I change the format of the number to number enclosed in dashes -4-, the numbering at the top of the next page and every page in the header thereafter until the next section, picks up the same format. I go in and change the header number format and then the first page footer number gets changed. Any thoughts??

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Why don't you leave the page number unformatted, and type the dashes before and after it yourself?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you!! This worked fine - I thought I would have to add the dashes on the first page of every chapter but I only did this one time on chapter one and it carried through to the end of the document.

Thank you all!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Rudi:
    I don't know if the Master Documents feature works better in Word 2003, but in the past, it has been a source of corruption. See Why Master Documents corrupt.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Thanx for the new insight Phil. I recommended it as I have never had hassles with it myself through the various versions of word; but then again, I'm not the only one that works with word. I will probably use it with caution from now on!
    Regards,
    Rudi

Star Lounger
    Thanks

If I change the first page of the chapter to be at the bottom, this works fine but if I change the format of the number to number enclosed in dashes -4-, the numbering at the top of the next page and every page in the header thereafter until the next section, picks up the same format. I go in and change the header number format and then the first page footer number gets changed.

When you're adding the header/footer for the new numbering, be sure to toggle the Same As Previous icon off. This works separately in the header and footer sections.