Lounger
    Thanks

Mail Merge Question (Word 2000)

I have a question about merging fields into a form letter. I have 5 fields, the first 4 (name, address, etc.) go to the top of the letter and the 5th (Director) puts in a name at the bottom. All fields are upper first letter then lower case. When I insert the fields at the top all insert in all upper case yet the bottom field inserts with upper and lower. Hence when I merge the name, address, etc. are all in upper and this is not the desired result. Is there somewhere else that it is getting the formatting from? All data being merged is in the correct format and gets changed during the merge or perhaps during the insert of the fields.
    Thanks in advance for any help with this.
    Glenn

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mail Merge Question (Word 2000)

Are the merge fields at the top formatted as small caps - either by direct formatting or through a style?

If you right click one of the merge fields and select Toggle Field Codes, do you see * Upper before the closing bracket } ?

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply.
    The merge fields are all formatted identical.
    I right clicked on the merge fields and selected Toggle Field Codes and it shows for instance the first one { MERGEFIELD NAME }. From here it will not even allow me to change the case. Funny thing is the 5th field that is doing what I want is able to be edited into either upper or lower case without issue.
    Not sure what to try next.
    Glenn

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Perhaps you could attach a copy of the document to a post. You can remove most of the other textfrom the copy, or replace it with dummy text. Make sure not to leave in any proprietary or sensitive information.

Lounger
    Thanks

Well it was an odd find but here goes...
    I disassociated the data source and the fields went back to upper first lower rest. When I deleted the body of the document and started to type in some dummy text it was all in upper. I placed the cursor at the beginning of the bottom (5th) field and deleted all the way up deleting the other fields as well up to the top of the document. Then I hit enter several times to create some new blank lines, arrowed up to where I wanted to place the fields and reinserted them. They came in as desired so I pasted the body back in and did the merge and everything came out great.
    Thank you so much for your help and suggestions. I find that I can always get great help here!
    Glenn

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Glenn:
    Glad you got it solved. For the future, it sounds like, though, that either with direct formatting or with a style, it was formatted as small caps or regular caps, as Hans asked about. That would explain why all your typing was in all caps after you deleted the fields.