2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mailbox Security

Hi,

I hope this is the right forum for this. At my job we use Windows 2000, Outlook 2000, and MS Exchange Server. Here's the problem:

A co-worker spends a lot of time at our customer service counter. The generic log-in for the computer there is CustService, and Outlook on that machine is set up for a generic customer service account, with an e-mail address of custservice@company.com.

So my friend won't have to log in and out of Windows on a regular basis to check her e-mail, we have Outlook set up on this customer service machine to include her mailbox as well: janedoe@company.com. However, she's not there all the time, and would like to have a way to password protect her e-mail account when she's not there, so that other people can access only the custservice e-mail account.

I've password protected personal folders in Outlook before, but although I've gone through numerous menus and dialogue boxes, I can't find a way to password protect a second, server based inbox when they are both showing in the directory tree of Outlook. Is there a simple way to do this? Can it be based on her own Windows login, or can it be set up with a separate password?

Thanks for any suggestions!

John DeAngeli

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Mailbox Security

Hi John,

If she doesn't need full Outlook functionality for her account you could have her user OWA (Outlook Web Access).

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The thing is, the mailbox security is really controlled by Active Directory security, so the user will create will either have permissions to open that mailbox all the time, or it won't all the time.

Best thing to do long term is to not have a shared generic profile on the machine. Windows just does not seem to want to conform to work this way. Windows wants every user account to have their own rights and permissions and settings. What I would do is have each user using that kiosk be granted permissions to open the customer service mailbox as an additional inbox.

Or, this might work. Don't give the generic login rights to the users' mailboxes. Set up a profile for the user that opens her mailbox ( e.g. Outlook.exe /p profilenames), and run it under the user's account with RunAs. SHould work,

Joe has probably the most direct answer. Use OWA to check presonal mailboxes. If you have Exchange 2003, it's almost like a "real" Outlook interface anyway. Should be more than functional for most users.

Ji,

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Errrr. that command-lien should be "Outlook.exe /profile profilename "

Sorry

Jim