2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

updating form controls (2000)

I have changed the date format for fields in a table but the form still shows the old format. I know there is a way that I can update the controls without having to delete them and then re-add them to the form, but I can't remember it and can't find it in help or anywhere else.

Can someone help me?

Thanks,
    Eric

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: updating form controls (2000)

When you add a bound control to a form, it copies the Format property of the source field, if it has been set in the table. After that, there is no link any more, so if you change the Format of the field in the table, the Format of any control bound to the field will not be updated. This is by design, because you may want to use a different format on a form or report.

You can change the Format property of the controls on the form in design view. You can do this manually, or you can write code to do it for you. Unless you have a large number of controls or expect to have to do this frequently, writing code is probably not worth while.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Right click on the control in the forms design view, choose the format tab and select a date format. If it does not give the appropriate date format, then type in a format, ie, mm/dd/yyyy
    Regards,
    Rudi

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I thought there was a way of "updating" the control from within the form if you changed anything in the table or query. I tried changing the format in the query the form is based on with the same results.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

> I thought there was a way of "updating" the control from within the form if you changed anything in the table or query.

Not as far as I know. I'll gladly be proved wrong.