2 Star Lounger
    Woodbridge, New Jersey, USA

rundll problem (Windows XP Home Edition)

Hi Everyone: Can someone tell me how to get rid of a rundll error. Every time I reboot the computer I get a dialog box that says in the left hand top corner rundll. Then the message says Error loading C:PROGRA~1NEWDOT~1NEWDOT~2.DLL The specified module could not be found. I checked the registry and newdot is not there nor in my program files, so why does this error message keep coming up. It's annoying. I need it to go away lol. Thanks

Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA

Re: rundll problem (Windows XP Home Edition)

Your machine is infected with a parasite called newdotnet.
    First check Control Panel>add remove programs, and look for a program called NewDot or NewDot Net. IF you see it there, remove it.
    This is a self replicating worm that has to be removed completely or it will renew itself.

Go to this site for a more complete description and a manual removal procedure. NewDot

Also Symantec has a removal tool for it at NDOTNET

If you lose access to a newly installed program after removing NewDot, you will know that it was the program that installed the parasite in the first place.

I assume that you have an up to date Anti-Virus program running in your machine??

Edited to add: And also use something like Adaware & Spybot, to check for malware, etc.?

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!