Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Excel Spreadsheet in Word problem (XP)

I have taken a spreadsheet that I made and put it in a Word document. But now I need to have the ability to enter a number at a spot in a paragraph that is above the spreadsheet and have that number appear in a cell in the spreadsheet. Someone said there is a way to do it with a bookmark, but did not know the details.
    Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Excel Spreadsheet in Word problem (XP)

This is tricky and very vulnerable. I would avoid it if possible. Bookmarks in a Word document tend to disappear if you type over them.

Thanks

Thanks for the info. If the bookmarks have a tendency to disappear, then the people I am working with will be sure to do that, of course.
    But I do need to see if I can make this happen somehow, though. Can I create a single cell spreadsheet and embed it in the paragraph, and then have the number inserted there appear in my worksheet below?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It might work if you create a workbook in Excel, save it and paste links to parts of the workbook into your document. I coulldn't get the data to update consistently with embedded spreadsheets, but perhaps someone else knows how to do that.

Thanks

What I am wondering is if I embed 2 separate small worksheets in a Word doc, can I reference cells in Worksheet A in formulas that are in Worksheet B?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

As far as I know, you cannot refer to cells in another embedded worksheet in a formula the way you can refer to cells in another workbook. You can paste a link to a cell, but as I wrote in my previous reply, that didn't update consistently. But perhaps I'm missing something obvious.

Thanks

Maybe I will play around with doing it with the bookmark, even though it is risky. Do you know how to reference a number in a Word bookmark when I am creating a formula in an embedded spreadsheet?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Copy the number in the Word document to the clipboard, and preferably a space before and after it to reduce the chance of accidentally deleting the bookmark that will be created below.
    Activate the embedded worksheet.
    Activate a target cell.
    Select Edit | Paste Special...
    Select Paste Link, and select Text as type, then click OK.
    Word will create a bookmark for the number automatically
    You can refer to the target cell in formulas in other cells.
    If you change the number in the document, you can force an update by activating the worksheet and selecting Edit | Links, selecting the link and clicking Update Now.

Thanks

Thanks for details. I will play with this a bit, but unfortunately it may not work for my present situation. I need something that would update automatically when the number in the document is changed. I am dealing with sales people who change an item at the top, depending on the client, and then I need for the worksheet below to change automatically. It's too much to expect these sales people to remember to update the link.

Thanks

Why put it in a word document? Why not just keep it in an excel spreadsheet?

Steve

Thanks

It has 2 pages of text in addition to the spreadsheet, and figures in the text need to be referenced in the spreadsheet.

Thanks

Can't you create the text output in excel with the chart and its data?

It seems to be a compromise between the two. I don't know enough about what you are doing to judge, but excel can handle text (I think) better than word can handle calculations.

But the real question is do you use more WORD features or EXCEL features and how well can the "features" from word be emulated in excel and how well can the features in excel be emulated in word? Whichever one handles the brunt of the problems the best should be the application of choice even if you must do workarounds.

Steve

Thanks

I'm willing to look into doing it that way, but I am not familiar with the text capabilities of Excel. Can I create a text box so I am not putting text in small cells? I have 2 pages of text.

Thanks

Yes, you can even have the contents read from cell contents (if desired). If you create a formula instead of "hard Text" your formatting options are limited, however.

Can you post an example of what you want with non-proprietary info, but of comparable info, so we can get a better idea of the goals and we can better suggest.

I will warn you, I don't use word, so my solutions will tend to be excel (or excel VBA) solutions. (you know what they say, "If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Steve

Thanks

OK here it is

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast