Star Lounger
    Thanks

new template from old w/sheet?

I seems to recall in older versions a simple step-wise way to save a worksheet as a template, retaining all layout, print, column widths and formulae etc., but first stripping out or zeroing the data in numeric cells. Help in EXL97 seems not to make any mention of readying a w/sheet for saving as a new template. What am I missing, or where do I look? Thanks, Peter

Thanks

Re: new template from old w/sheet?

If I wanted to see at a glance what cells had formula in them so I didn't delete the formula by accident I'd use CTRL + ~. It will quickly toggle the worksheet to displaying formulas instead of results. Don't worry about column widths. Just use CTRL + ~ again and the columns will resize.
    Then I'd delete all non-formula data and save as a template. I can't think of any more steps, unless you intend on applying cell protection?
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wow! - that was quick. One more Q: what's the trick for making a blank copy of a sheet, but such that customized various column widths in the sheet are retained in the new blank?
    Thanks, Peter

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Unfortunately, there is no easy way that I know of. You can easily find all of the cells on a sheet that contain formulas by selecting GoTo from the Edit menu, clicking on Special in the dialog box, then click on Formulas and OK. That will select all cells that contain formulas. Likewise, you can select all cells that contain constants by clicking on Constants. However, that will also select all cells containing labels as well.
    Legare Coleman

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Copy the entire sheet by clicking the blank square in the upper left corner and then Edit/Copy. Select the upper left cell of a blank sheet and select Edit/Paste. Column widths and row heights will be pasted in the new sheet.
    Legare Coleman

Star Lounger
    Thanks

But it makes a good basis for a solid procedural method. Thanks - and thanks also for the reminder about the 'whole sheet' role of the top-left square. Peter