New Lounger
    Thanks

Not a valid WIN32 application

I can't open my spreadsheet program, I just get a message telling me that it is not a valid WIN32 application.
    I am using Corel's Quatrro Pro 10 on Win98SE.
    I have rebooted many times, uninstalled and reinstalled the program, run scandisk, scanned for viruses, and tried regclean all with the same result. First I will get the illegal operation message and after that the message that file that I want to open is not a valid WIN32 application.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Not a valid WIN32 application

I haven't run QP for a long time, but let me give you some food for thought. It's not clear from your post if you are trying to "double click" a QP file and getting the error message or if it happens when you try to execute the QP program with NO file. The reason for throwing this out is that perchance you have a corrupt file, rather then the program executable. Can you (or have you already) tried opening the program to an EMPTY spreadsheet to see if that works?

New Lounger
    Thanks

I can open Quattro Pro, use it, save it, but when I try to open it up again I can't. Same thing with any previously saved files whether I try to open them from a file in the hard drive or from a floppy.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

How old are these files?
    If you know, what version were they made in?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

If you can create & save a file, can you then open it in Quatro Pro. If so, but you can't open it when you double click it in Windows Explorer, then it's probably a file association issue. I don't know what extension QP uses offhand, but you need to associate that extension with QP.

One way to do this is to go to Start/Run & type <big><font color=red><code>winfile</code></font color=red></big> & press <enter>. This is the old, old File Manager which has an association command on it's file menu. You can also do it in Windows Explorer, but there are more steps involved.
    Hope this helps,

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>...but when I try to open it up again I can't... <hr>
    This is why I was trying to discern if the problem is with the QP executable or a spreadsheet file being corrupt. I'm sorry to say I still don't know if you were meaning the program or the file. So, if you start QP from the Start Menu entry, with NO file, then CLOSE it and try to start it again, do you get the error? If so, it would seem there's something amiss in the operating system, rather than a file or (as Phil suggests) the associations.

New Lounger
    Thanks

The problem seems to be solved. By holding the shift key while opening Quattro Pro, Windows asked if I wanted to restore QP to factory defaults. I clicked yes and the problem is gone.
    Thanks for your ideas!