2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Partition 160 Gig drive - best way? (SP 1)

What would be a good way to partition a 160 Gig harddrive on a new PC? I thought it might be a good idea to put the programs on one drive and data on another. this way I could just backup the data, defrag a smaller partition, etc. But I've seen that some programs like Outlook tend to be stuck under Documents on the C drive. I was thinking of a C drive with 80 Gig, and a D and E with 40 Gig each.
    Any thoughts?
    Mark

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Partition 160 Gig drive - best way? (SP 1)

You will find as many different opinions as people who respond to your question.

I personally tend to go for the very simple
    C: for Windows and all applications
    D: for temporary files and things I don't want to back up
    E: for all my data

I keep applications on the C: drive because this makes it easy to recover a disk image if I have a disaster, and I take weekly automated disk image backups of C:. I have never needed more than 20GB for the C: partition, even on a PC with lots of things installed.

Keeping temporary files (including big things like disk copies of CDs) on D: keeps the size of my daily data backup down to a reasonable size and reduces fragmentation.

I use TWEAKUI to redirect My Documents, Favorites etc. to the E: drive, and make sure that things like outlook data files are all located there. Some games installed on C: insist on keeping their data on the same drive, so I have a Scheduled Task to back these up to the E: drive every night before the data backup.

StuartR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Somewhere between yours and Stuart's sounds like a good plan to me, with two comments. Stuart's correct in his point about the size of the C: drive - you don't need it as big as you were planning. And I would add that, even though you won't gain any speed from this, you might consider a small fourth partition, like 1 or 2 gig for the Windows swap file. That at least would save you from backing it up and keep it from getting fragmented.

Thanks

If the swap file is set with the same min and max values, and assuming it is created in one block in the first place, surely it doesn't fragment anyway, does it?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Leif

It won't fragment under your conditions, but there is always the possibility that you might need to increase the size of the swap file, to provide lots more Virtual Memory for some appallingly memory-hungry application (often starting "MS"...). That's why it might be a good idea to have it within a partition where such a size increase is possible. There's no performance advantage in having a swap file in its own partition, only when it's on a separate hard disk.

John

PS You knew all that anyway!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you all. Definitely food for thought. I'll also look into TWEAKUI.
    If I understand the comments correctly, putting the swap file in its own partition limits the amount of fragmentation and insures it will never be needlessly backed up, but it doesn't speed things up any. Is this correct?

Mark, in awe, again, at the advise from Woody's Loungers.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, you are correct. I don't think the swapfile is worth moving for most people, but YMMV

StuartR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I received a Private Message asking whether using TWEAKUI was better than simply using drag-and-drop to move My Documents, and whether I was still using this method.

Drag and Drop is useful for moving My Documents when there are files that you need to preserve, but I have never tried this method and don't know how it copes with moving My Documents to a different drive, or a network location. I always use TWEAKUI because I move these locations as part of installing Windows, and because it has always worked flawlessly for me.

I completely reinstalled the PC on which I am currently typing a couple of weeks ago. I was able to wipe the C: drive, reinstall windows, and then use TWEAKUI to point My Documents to the network share on the home server where all the family's files are. This location is set to be available as Offline Files in case the server is down (but PST and MDB files don't get copied to to offline store to prevent conflicting changes to the same file).

StuartR

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart

I thought the "official" way to move "My Documents" was to right-click on "My Documents", then select Properties, then select Move...

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

John,

I suspect you are right, but I can't recommend something I haven't successfully tried myself. I know that my method works.

StuartR