Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Home Networks (SP-1)

Have you run the Network Connection Wizard Chuck?
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Thanks

John:

No, I had approached this before, via assistance from this board, by just setting the "Share" for the drive or printer, and then mapping through Explorer... Worked before without a hitch, and is working now on the 2K PC. Why not the XP PC?

Chuck
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

John's probably right - you ought to run the Network Wizard to see if it solves the problem quickly. Otherwise you'll have to start with network properties and check EVERY little detail like Workgroup name, IP address (are you using DHCP?), and so on... A couple of quick checks you might want to do on the XP machine (maybe both). Open a CMD window and PING 127.0.0.1 to quickly check the NIC. Then do an IPCONFIG /ALL to see what it says about the network.

Thanks

I agree with Al. I think you will resolve your problem very quickly if you run the Wizard.
    John

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If I remember right, on a 2K machine the "Guest Account" must be turned on for a "workgroup" network?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

John:

OK. SInce I'm "netting" a 2K, and an XP, and I'm an XP newbie, where ia the Network Wizard? 'Cause I can't find one 'tall on 2K.

Regards,
    Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You said the 2K machine was OK, therefore the Network Wizard suggested that you run is the one in WinXP.

Thanks

Al:

I misspoke.

2K is recognizing its own networked folders and printers... NOT XP's.

Now, XP is seeing it's own, NOT 2k's...

I cannot help but wonder if, since the XP install was done by Dell (offsite with no knowledge of the other connections to be used), since it worrked when both pc's were 2K machines, and the 2K machine hasn't changed, that it's gotta be something in the XP install.

It make me wonder if a fresh install isn't the easy way(?).

Regards,
    Chuck Billow

With high hope for the future, no prediction is ventured.
    -- Abraham Lincoln

Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by Rebel on 09-Aug-04 21:33. )</P>I don't understand Chuck. If neither machine can see each other, then what "networked folders and printers" are you referring to? If you are referring to the shares that you have created on each machine, then I understand, but from what I can read from your post, there is no network at all currently.

Al is correct - the Network Wizard must be run from XP. Start>Control Panel> double click on Network Connections and then select "Set up a home or small office network". I can't remember if 2K requires it, but at the end of the procedure, you may be asked to create a Network Installation disk which you will then run on the 2K machine.

Before you start, probably best to read some of the MSKB articles on XP networking. Go to the Knowledge Base, select Windows XP as your application, and then search for "Network wizard". There are several explanatory articles as well as some troubleshooting tips there. Good Luck.

added: Whether Dell did the XP install or whether you do it again, you're still going to have to set up your network after the operating system is installed. It's not part of the XP installation.
    John

Thanks

John:

Again I'm not being clear.

The 2 PC's were both running 2K. One was the Base station, (MS700), and the other was wireless. At this point, the two PC's could share folders, printers, etc. without a problem.

Then we got a new Dell Dimension. It came all "software installed" with XP Pro. we just unplugged the base station PC and plugged in the new Dell ("XP") -- literally. So now we have "XP" as a base station, and "2K" with a wireless (MN730) card.

We then followed the same process (Explorer, using Tools/Map...) to set up shares for the printers and one folder per machine (as before). But this time it will not work.

If I, in Explorer, got to Map etc., I can see the local (directly connected) printers/folders that are set up as shares on each machine.

But I cannot see any resources or devices for the "other" PC... from neither XP or 2K. So now, no, I'm not (any longer) networked.

Chuck

Thanks

From what you are saying, it sounds as if you have unplugged a pc running W2K and plugged in one running XP and are expecting the network configuration to auto-magically transfer itself to the XP machine.

If you haven't set up networking on the XP machine you can't expect either pc to communicate with the other. Please - try the Network Connection Wizard as suggested above.

Thanks

The Dell Dimension with all "software installed" still doesn't know that it is part of a network. The OS and applications may have been installed, but until you run the network setup, it will never communicate with another machine. You have enabled shares (I like to do this after the boxes are communicating) but you haven't told the boxes how to communicate. That's where the Network Wizard comes in.
    John

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Chuck,

Check out this MS article How to configure file sharing in Windows XP

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

Joe:

It's got to be something in the way the firewall is set up...

If I read this correctly, then only the computer that is connected (via cable modem - base station) to the internet should have a firewall -- NOT the workstations (like 2K in my config. This is (they say) by design. So I suppose that it is still safe...

But then how come my ZoneAlarm is showing intrusions that it stops if the base station also has a firewall? And what do I do if the intrusions are attempted, and I have no firewall?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow

With high hope for the future, no prediction is ventured.
    -- Abraham Lincoln

Thanks

I'm afraid I still can not get my head round your statement
    <hr>I had it all working fine when XP was still also a 2K PC, but ever since the "upgrade", ....<hr>
    I was under the impression that you had a pc running W2K but replaced it with an entirely new pc running XP. Is that the case, or did you "upgrade" the same pc from W2K to XP? Or by saying "was still also" do you mean you had it dual-booting?

From your list:
    <hr>2) XP is the base station for the home network, running an MN700 router, and connected to the net via Cox cable
    3) 2K is "connected" to the base station via MN730 wireless network card<hr>
    my understanding is that both pc's connect to the router - either by wired connection or wireless connection - and from there to the internet. This does not tie in with
    <hr>If I read this correctly, then only the computer that is connected (via cable modem - base station) to the internet should have a firewall -- NOT the workstations (like 2K in my config<hr>
    If the two pc's are not talking to each other, I am at a loss to see how the firewall of one can protect the other. They are both apparently accessing the internet independently of each other. I think the fact that one is connected by wireless is immaterial and you should consider them - the "XP" and the "2K" - as equals.

For the sake of argument, let us assume PC1 is running XP, PC2 is running W2K:

Both PC1 and PC2 connect to a router.
    The router connects to the internet.
    When PC1 wants to communicate with the internet it does this through the router.
    When PC2 wants to communicate with the internet it does this through the router.
    When PC1 wants to communicate with PC2, it does so through the router.
    When PC2 wants to communicate with PC1, it does so through the router.

If the router has a firewall, it will afford some protection for both PC1 and PC2 from the internet.
    If it doesn't, the fact that PC1 may have a firewall is immaterial as far as PC2 is concerned.

I think the fact that you have both pc's accessing the internet via the router means that you have a partial network successfully running. What you do not have set up is the protocol to enable the two pc's to see each other on the same network.

What happened when you ran the Network Connection Wizard on the pc running XP?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast