Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XP Pro (SP-2)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

XP Pro (SP-2)

Well, I decided to be brave this morning. I downloaded SP-2 from MSDN (yikes the ISO is 435 MB). Installed on two PCs at work after backing up. NOTE: AFTER BACKING UP. One is a test machine that had SP-2 RC2 on it. The other is my PC (semi-test/ semi-production) that had SP-1 fully patched. Both installs went flawlessly and have been running without a hitch for several hours. Even though it is supposed to be OK to update from RC2 to the RTM SP-2 and went fine for me I don't think I'd suggest that as a normal approach. At a minimum I'd uninstall RC2. Better yet restore from a pre-RC2 image. Then install SP-2. More later about the two configurations.

Joe
    Joe

Administrator
    Thanks

Re: XP Pro (SP-2)

So far so good. Nothing untoward on either machine after about 7 hours. Here's some configuration information for each machine.

The 'test machine - Sony Vaio 2.8 Ghz P4 with Hyper-threading enabled. 512 MB RAM, 120 GB disk, 64 MB ATI Radeon 9200 video card, Pioneer DVR-106 DVD writer. WinXP SP-2, Office 2k premium SP-3, SQL server 2k SP-3a, WinZIp 9.0, Adobe Reader 6.0.2, ATI driver 6.14.10.6436, Diskeeper Lite 7.0.418, FileZilla 2.2.8a, Sun Java 2 SE 1.4.2_04, .NET framework 1.1.4322, VNC 4.0, WinXP powertoys, Intel PRO/100 VE 7.0.26.

My PC (semi-test as I'm the guinea pig for a lot). DELL Optiplex GX150 866 Mhz PIII, 256 MB RAM, 20 GB disk, LG CD-RW, integrated Intel 82815 video controller, 3COM 3C920 integrated ethernet controller. WinXP Pro SP-2, Office XP Pro SP-3, Adobe reader 6.0.2 Adobe SVG Viewer, AM-Deadlink 2.01, Diskeeper Lite 7.0.418, FileZilla 2.2.8a, Google Toolbat 2.0.113, Java 2 SE 1.4.2_05, .NET framework 1.1, DirectX 9.0c, MDAC 2.8, Office XP resource kit, TrendMicro Officescan Client 7.1, WindowsXP Powertoys, WinZip 9.0 SR-1 beta, WindowsXP support tools.

More later in the week as we work with it more.

Joe
    Joe

Administrator
    Thanks

Have survived a full 24 hours at work. Things still going well. Several reboots on my PC - just to see what happens + normal workstation backup. Also, installed on my PC at home last night. Went very well again. Only thing I noticed was the Security Center does not recognize the Sygate Personal Firewall 5.5.2637 (free version). It does recognize Avast! AV software. So far, I'd say this is the best OS service pack I've seen from MS. I do reserve the right to change my mind and go on a rant if something acts up. Will post more later in the week.

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Sounds like you are have a good install.
    As for the firewall not being recognized, Sygate needs to do a update along with ALL other firewalls and AV programs. I thing you will be seeing them real soon.

By the way, I am not having any problems on my test machine.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Administrator
    Thanks

Yes, so far it is going very well. I'm leaving the MS firewall running on machines at work. Just having to add a few exceptions - internal and third party stuff. I just don't know why all the firewall & AV companies have waited until after the fact. They've had a chance to test, change code, re-test for a long time. I installed on two more PCs (one test, one production) at work this AM. Glad to see your test machine is doing OK.

Joe

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Just to add to the collection, for the benefit of other Loungers in the NEAR future... I downloaded XP Service Pack 2 from this link this morning and a short time ago installed it for test purposes on my XP Pro "virtual machine" (see <!post=this thread for background.,384935>this thread for background.<!/post> ). It took quite awhile to install, so much so that I went to the grocery store while it was installing. But, since it's a VM one shouldn't make big judgements on that score. All went without a hitch and I was pleased that the Security Center opened upon completion to give me the chance to turn off the automatic updates and firewall. That went OK too except that I notice now that when I restart I get one of those annoying balloons warning me that I'm at risk. The OS seems to be operating OK.

Administrator
    Thanks

BigAl,
    If you open the Security Center you can change how it checks that stuff. See the last entry in the 'Resources' panel on the left.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

Joe,

Is this the official release of SP2 or a copy that "leaked" out?
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Yes, it does take some time to install. It does do a "Uninstall" file which takes some time and then the install is some what faster than others that I have installed.

As for the "Balloon" I think you need to just select the one that you will handle it. Also you may find that this will pop on EACH account as you log in on the different user accounts.

If you are running ZA or a firewall that allows you to remove any of the program settings, I would remove them and then add them back as needed. The reason for this is that you now have NEW exe files IE, OE, Windows Explorer, Messenger and etc. This will include the "Help and Support" and several of the "Generic Host" type of access.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You can down load SP2 from HERE, it is the Microsoft for the file. The link from the "Download Center" just has not been added.

Administrator
    Thanks

It is official. See Dave's reply for a download link.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

Ok, Downloaded and installed.
    So far so good. Took a while to install ( or was I just being impatient? ) Huge download, don't know what I would do if I didn't have DSL.

Only thing I noticed so far was an alert saying that my Local area connection had limited or no connectivity? It offered to repair it but failed. Don't quite know what that meant since I am obviously here on line and running at a decent speed.

Have to look into that.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

For those who care, I have been installing SP2 with Norton's AV 2004 and ZoneAlarm 4.?? running. I had a couple AV pop ups about the scanning of a file. One can select OK, and it will continue the scanning.

Also Messenger needed access (blocked in ZA) as it is being updated and I would suggest to let it update and do what you feel you need to to it after the install is completed.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Just installed it and no problems so far. I installed the Norton updates earlier today and the Windows security centre recognised Norton.

It makes a nice change to hear of people successfully installing MS updates. Reading through various newsgroups you usually only get to hear of those that have problems and not from all the successful updates. Maybe I am just lucky but since I started using Windows & Office at home (Windows 3.11 & Office 4) all the updates and new installations have installed successfully.

Administrator
    Thanks

Still going well. No stops/BSODs. The popup blocker by default seems better than the one in the Google toolbar. Occasionally have to allow a site. No big deal. The only thing at work was having to tweak firewall settings on a test machine. Those settings are only for our internal stuff and software that we sell and some that we re-sell. Going great at home too. At the risk of incurring disaster, I'll repeat that this is the best MS service pack I've seen. That inlcudes all the NT, Win2k, Win9x/ME, Exchange 5.5, SQL server 7 & 2k, plus others I've forgotten.

Joe
    Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast