3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Target: (Access 2000)

I just acquired Windows XP and am running Access 2000. With Windows 98, I could put a file name in the "target" of a shortcut and it would open a specific file or database. In XP that area is grayed out. It was very handy and I certainly want that option now. Can anyone tell me how to use that or if it is available in XP?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Target: (Access 2000)

This doesn't seem to be an Access question, but a Windows XP question. However, creating and editing a shortcut is not significantly different between Windows 98 and Windows XP. How are you creating the shortcut?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

If this is what you're referring to (see attached pic) then see this MSKB article:

OFF2000: Unable to Modify Office Shortcuts

Article states: "Office 2000 shortcuts installed on these versions of Windows are Windows Installer shortcuts. Windows Installer shortcuts do not directly reference the path of the shortcut target; instead, they contain a token that the Windows Installer resolves to the path of the shortcut target." See article for more info & suggested resolutions. Note this info applies to other specified versions of Windows, not just XP, if the shortcut is a socalled "Windows Installer" shortcut as opposed to those you create yourself.

HTH
    Attached Images Attached Images

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I was right-clicking on the (desktop) shortcut and trying to enter the path to the file in [Target:]. It was always grayed out. MarkD answered my question with the link he gave me. I have to create my own shortcut and not use the default shortcut the program provides. Once I created my own shortcut, I could enter the path to the file and it opens the database I want.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks a lot MarkD! That answered my question!