5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Drive Image and Resizing Partitions (XP Pro (SP1))

Last time I installed windows XP I decided to create a separate partition for temp files (drive h. I reset the environment variables and all seemed to be OK. However, Macromedia's Extension Manager for Dreamweaver MX refused to install any extensions. Eventually I discovered that it would only work if the temp folder was in it's default position. Any other setup and it gave an error message. So with my new set up I have the temp folder back on drive C:. If I'd been thinking ahead I would have thought to resize the partition and make drive C: larger. But I didn't. So now I'm wondering how to enlarge Drive C:. I don't have Partition Magic but I do have Drive Image. If I make an image of the existing C: Drive and then delete the drive h: partition and the drive c: partition can I create a new partition and then restore the drive image back to the enlarged drive? If it's possible, how safe is this procedure. Would I be better of getting Partition Magic or something similar. I'm not very familiar with the business of resizing partitions. C: and H: are on the same physical drive along with K: L: and O:

Thanks,

Chris (Hunt)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Drive Image and Resizing Partitions (XP Pro (SP1))

First, have you checked the Macromedia support area? Perhaps, this is a known issue and has some resolution. Otherwise, IMO, you'd be better off spending the $$$ and getting a partition manager. You may also want to investigate BootIt NG and Acronis Disk Director as alternatives. Since Symantec has acquired Powerquest some (including me) are or will be looking for ways to avoid former Powerquest products. Here's a somewhat lengthy thread discussing
    Acronis Disk Director

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the links Joe,

I, wasn't happy to learn that Symantec have eaten up Powerquest. It's good to be able to look at some alternatives to Partition Magic. Regarding Dreamweaver I guess it wouldn't hurt to try their forums. I contacted support when I first discovered the problem and they basically said they didn't support my kind of setup: No idea why it didn't work but not interested in finding out why.
    All the best,

Chris

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Chris,

You're welcome. That respsonse is typical of many support organizations these days. I'd guess you'd hear that echoed about many firms.

Joe
    Joe