New Lounger
    Thanks

Can I use a .tmp file? (Word 2000)

Crikey I've never had so many Word problems in one project! I fear I've peaked this time though :-|

The document that I'm working on uses a continuous table for page layout - it's not huge, about 130 pages. From reading posts here, I think I've made a basic mistake by saving the file to removable media - whatever the cause it has become horribly corrupt. I also wonder if switching between Word 2003 (home) and Word 2000 (office) could have upset things; in retrospect it doesn't seem a wise move!!

Trying to avoid losing a day's work, I've been checking my working folder. There are a series of tmp files, the last one being just an hour before the corruption happened. Can anyone advise whether it is 'safe' for me to save the tmp file as a document and resume working from this? It seems to be ok but I'd hate to be missing something horrible behind the scenes.

Many thanks!

Claire

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can I use a .tmp file? (Word 2000)

I'd check carefully, but if renaming the .tmp file to .doc results in a valid document, you may be in luck.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi Claire,

Probably the only reason that the temp file exists is because Word creates 'temp' copies of files at various stages and, when it crashed, it didn't delete it as it should have done when the program closes normally. You may be able to recover you work just by renaming the file with a .doc extension, but this might not be the wisest thing to do. After all, it may suffer from the same defect that caused the original crash (ie maybe it wasn't caused by saving to removable media). I'd recommend copying everything out of that document, except the table itself and pasting the data into a new document.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

In addition to what Hans & macropod have said, never save to removable media, especially a floppy. It used to be that you could: save to disk, copy to removable media, take to second location, copy from removable media to disk. However, now I think the best way would be to avoid removable media (unless you're using a CD just for storage) & just save to disk, zip it, & email it back & forth between home & work.