5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Which vrsion do I have? (OE 6.0 (SP1??))

Hello,

I read somewhere that if Windoows XP SP1 is installed it automatically updates Outlook Express to SP1. Is there a way to be sure? From Help about I can see a mention of XPSP1 in brackets. The reason I'm uncertain is because before reinstalling my system OE used to have a useful hotkey to hide all posts but my own (ctlr+H). But this shortcut is not working.

Can anyone please advise?

Thanks,

Chris (Hunt)

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Which vrsion do I have? (OE 6.0 (SP1??))

If you select from the menu 'Help' then 'About Microsoft Outlook Express', you will see a list of the OE specific and/or shared files and their version - some of which may read 'xpsp1' and even 'xpsp2'.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks,

I looked there and saw about a third of the references to SP1. But if I do have Outlook Express SP1 then why doesn't the CTRL+H toggle work? Can anyone please confirm that this works for them? If my Outlook Express is damaged how can I fix it?

Chris

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Chris,

I have the latest version and it still works. Not sure why it is not working for you but if you want to try to repair OE in Windows XP check MSKB 318378, there could be a lot of work involved.

Lounger
    Thanks

Is this just for newsgroup activity? There is no mention of Ctrl+H in the Outlook Express long 'Shortcut Keys' list in the Help file.

I did, however, locate this at Slipstick :

Speaking of OE, if it's your favorite tool for reading newsgroups (especially the Outlook newsgroups where Diane and I and the other MVPs hang out), you might want to get the latest version -- OE 6.0 SP1 Cumulative Update. This version adds a Ctrl+H toggle between your regular newsgroup view and a view that shows only the threads that you're participating in.

The following are the additions and changes in Outlook Express after you install the Cumulative Update for Outlook Express 6.0 SP-1.

- View Replies Toggle. When you view the Newsreader folders after you install the update, you can press CTRL+H on your keyboard to toggle between the Current View and the Show Replies to my Message view.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I tried to add the updates and quickly discovered that I didn't have SP1 for Outlook Express as one of the updates refused to install. After installing all the updates I noticed that there is now a mention of SP2 in the about box. The Ctrl+H function is working for newsgroups now. I thought it worked for every folder but must have been mistaken. It's strange that SP1 is mentioned when it isn't actually there. Now SP2 is mentioned and the SP1 function works. Must be forward planning!?

Best wishes,

Chris