New Lounger
    Thanks

Unable to rename e-mail attachment (Outlook 2002/SP3)

Prior to applying SP 3 we were able to insert attachments into a new mail message (Rich Text Format) and then rename the attachment by right clicking, selecting Properties, and then typing the new name in the Label field. The new name would then reflect in the e-mail message. Now when we follow that same process, the new name is only reflected in the Properties box

Thanks

Re: Unable to rename e-mail attachment (Outlook 20

Could it be a security feature designed to prevent you from misleading recipients about the true nature of a file??

New Lounger
    Thanks

I've been unable to find any documentation in the Release Notes or anyplace else that would confirm that Security is in fact the reason that we are unable to rename the attachment. When most of our staff insert attachments it inserts as the file name our DM assigns (Columbia-#798441-v1-CBelton_Letterhead_Issues.DOC). Staff prefer to have an attachment label that the recipient will understand, and in many cases they may not want the recipient to see document or version numbers, etc. I would like to present to our attorneys "why" we are unable to rename attachment once it's inserted in the new mail message.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I can't find anything in MSKB, but I'm pretty sure that we were never changing the file name, just the display name in the message window, which is why it's also called the "Label". In Outlook 2000, when I saved attachments that had been renamed in the Message window, the Save name would revert to the original name (I had an employee who frequently changed the Label of files he sent me, but when I saved his attached files, the name would "revert").

I think Jefferson is right, this behavior is for security reasons so that malicious programs and scripts can't be disguised.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks

The change seems to apply to the VBA method, too:
    <pre>Sub TestRichAttach()
    ' Sample code adding an attachment to an open RTF format message
    Dim msg As MailItem
    Set msg = ActiveInspector.CurrentItem
    msg.Attachments.Add "c:testingcbarxml.doc", olByValue, , "Fun Movie for you"
    Set msg = Nothing
    End Sub</pre>

While it is possible that this was unintentional, I think it is a good idea for the true file name to be displayed. If MS agrees, it will mean a lot of recoding for those who have come to rely on this feature.