Thanks

Count Commas (Excel XP)

I have a text file that contains 10ish records - the first record is a header record. Another program (not MS related) was having trouble reading this file so I loaded the records into excel to check a few things out. One of the things I wanted to check was the number of records in the header record and the number in the actual data.

I tried convert text to columns but the results were a bit confusing as the data had a few blank fields at the end of the record.

I reverted to each record being text and tried counting the number of commas (this should tell me how many fields). I set up a recursive set of find() formula that searched for commas starting from the location of the last comma plus 1. I then counted the number of these formula that returned a valid result and thus obtained the number of commas in the text.

BUT - is there an easier way (sans VBA) to do this?
    (Location Australia, then UK, but now USA. Heart, outlook, attitude, etc always Australian)
    Quote: "All Happiness is the release of internal pressure"

Thanks

Re: Count Commas (Excel XP)

If your string is in cell A1 this will give you the number of columns:

=LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,",",""))

It takes the length of the string and substracts the len without the commas to give you the count of commas

Steve

Thanks

Re: Count Commas (Excel XP)

Its good to learn something new everyday - I didn't know there was a substitute function. Thanks for the reply Steve.
    (Location Australia, then UK, but now USA. Heart, outlook, attitude, etc always Australian)
    Quote: "All Happiness is the release of internal pressure"