4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

MS Word - Header (Office 2002)

I have a 50 page document that is mostly just a glossary of all the different "buzz" words for each section. Each page has the Word and then is followed by a definition and examples of the word.

"Absorbency"
    Definition: The ability of paper to absorb and hold ink or other liquids is absorbency. Papers with less absorbency may smear more easily but may also provide more vibrant color and crisp text than papers with greater absorbency. Inkjet photo papers have less absorbency than newsprint.

In my manual I want to have in the Header the word for each page. Is there a way that I can do this? Right now I have just one (1) section and each time I go to the next page to add the Word in the Header it changes it for the whole document.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: MS Word - Header (Office 2002)

Hi Daniel

Headers and footers (I believe) apply to each section - thus if you only have one section in the whole document , all pages will be updated with any header/footer changes.

You need to:
    - Insert a section break at the end of each page
    - When you then go to change the header for a page, ensure that the 'same as previous' option is switched OFF

It will be a little work for you retrospectively over 50 pages - maybe someone has a better idea?!

Hope that helps!

Claire

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Dreyes
    You will need to devide the document into sections using section breaks.
    Each word with its definition will have to be on a seperate page seperates not by page breaks but next page section breaks.
    When you create the header, start on the first pageworking systematically through the doc, and ensure that you switch off the button on the toolbar that says, same as previous section.
    I'm not to sure if this process can be automated...maybe someone else can assist with this!
    Regards,
    Rudi

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Another solution:

Format all the buzzwords to a specific style, Heading 1 for example. You should not use this style for other purposes in this document.
    Select View | Header and Footer.
    Select Insert | Field...
    Select StyleRef in the list of fields names, then select the style you used in the list of style names.
    Click OK.
    That's it!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This is very interesting... I plan on giving this some more time to study...
    Now what if I have the Style as "24pt, Bold, Dark Red, Right:77"

When I do the Insert, Field, select StyRef... It does not show the 24pt... as an option. Can I change Heading 3 to something else so this will work?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Do you really have a style called "24pt, Bold, Dark Red, Right:77", this looks more like a description of a style to me.

You certainly can use Heading 3, so long as it not used anywhere else in the document, you can use absolutely any style you like for this purpose. You might even want to create a completely new style called "Buzz Word".

StuartR