New Lounger
    Thanks

Word stand-alone vs. Word in Works Suite (2002)

I currently use Word 2000, and I'm considering upgrading to Word 2002. What is the difference between the Word program purchased as a single product vs. the Word which is packaged as the word processor for Microsoft Works Suite? There is a substantial price difference (with Works Suite being considerably less expensive), and I'd like to know the advantage - if any - of buying the single application. Also, is there any reason (apart from not getting printed documentation) someone should not to buy the OEM version of either Word or the Works Suite?
    Any information would be appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Gini

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word stand-alone vs. Word in Works Suite (2002

Hi Gini

The Works Suite 2004 contains the full version of Word 2002. The standalone version of Word sold in shops should be the latest version, Word 2003. If you are happy with getting Word 2002 then the Works Suite is the way to go. As for the difference in price, probably down to Microsoft marketing strategies and not supplying the latest version in the Works suite.

OEM versions should only be sold with hardware. Although OEM versions of Microsoft products can be found that are sold separate from a new PC system, such distribution is unauthorized, and there is the risk that such a product may not be legally licensed. I would not buy an OEM version unless it was pre-installed on a new computer.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

According to Microsoft's site http://www.microsoft.com/products/works/Pr...ls.aspx?pid=001 Works Suite 2004 contains Word 2002. There is always a lag time before the latest version of Word makes it into Works. But the Works home page says that Works Suite 2005 is coming soon. Perhaps that upcoming version will contain Word 2003.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the clarification! I'm interested in Word 2002 more than 2003 (because the computers on which I teach at the local Senior Center use this version), so it sounds like MS Works Suite with Word 2002 is an excellent buy. I will avoid the OEM versions. I hadn't realized their distribution was illegal unless preinstalled on the hardware. They are certainly available at many online stores!