New Lounger
    Thanks

Table with fixed columns (Word 2000)

Hopefully someone can help within something I'm really struggling with.

I have a 4 column table which must be a fixed width. Within this:
    Columns 1, 2 and 4 must be fixed at specific widths
    Column 3 will be split into any number of columns by editors

When column 3 is split, I would like the new columns to be of equal width, but still maintaining my fixed widths for columns 1, 2 and 4 and without adjusting the over all table width.

I've tried the 'fixed width' setting and being clever (or not-so-clever) with macros but I just can't do it !

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Table with fixed columns (Word 2000)

Hi,
    On the Table toolbar, there is a button that automatically makes the selected columns of equal width. (The button has three vertical lines with a horizontal line between each.) Can they use that button? All they would need to do is to split the column and then, with the new columns selected, click that button. It will make all the new columns of equal width, within the width of the original column that was split. I think that's what you're looking to do.
    Hope that helps somehow.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Table with fixed columns (Word 2000)

To keep the fixed width of the first three columns, you must select the first 3 columns & go to Table/Properties & do three things.
    1. Go to the Table Tab (selected by default), choose Options, & UNcheck "Automatically resize to fit contents".
    2. Now go to the column tab & choose your fixed width. Notice that it only says preferred. However, with Auto resize unchecked, the column widths should hold. Make sure the measurement isn't in percentages.
    3. Measure your 4 columns total, go to Table/Properties/Table tab & put the measurement in & check the box.

Now when you add columns to the right side of the table, they will all be equal. If you want to divide the last column into smaller equal columns, just follow the advice that Sherry gave or select the last column & go to Table/Split cells... & choose the number of columns you wish to split the last one into. See attached.
    Cheers,
    Attached Files Attached Files