3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Metadata for files in XP (Windows XP)

In XP you are able to store metadata for files by right-clicking on a file and selecting 'Properties' and then the 'Summary' tab. What I am talking about is not restricted to just Office files. I use the 'Comments' field to store brief info on files and find it very useful. I however am having a problem now with not having enough room to store all of the text I would like. I haven't checked the exact number but I'd guess it's like 256 or 512 characters.

What I am looking for if possible is a way to change this and perhaps even other configuration settings for these metadata fields.

Thoughts on how to do this?

Thanks in advance
    Ed Carden

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Metadata for files in XP (Windows XP)

Hi Ed

I have done some searching and can not find any mention of changing this option. When an option can be changed you can usually find plenty of references to it so I think it is probably hard coded and can not be changed. (I will be happy for you if somebody could prove me wrong on this one).

The best I could find was an option in PowerDesk Pro that allows you to add notes to any file.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the info Tony. I had a feeling that I probably would not be able to do something like this without the use of a program that extends the Windows shell. Heavy Sigh

Hopefully this type of customization will make it into Longhorn.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Very interesting update on this.

Today, just by pure chance I found that you can store more characters in the 'Comments' field of the 'Summary' tab of a files properties in Window Explorer. As stated in my original post you can only insert 258 characters in the Comments field when the view is set to 'Simple'. There is a link at the bottom of this Window that changes the view between Simple and Advanced. If you change the view to 'Advanced' then you can enter a lot more text in the Comments field. How much more? Well I stopped after 5,000 characters. Thats right, five thousand characters.

I don't know why it works this way but it does. So if you are like me and like to store information with a file and that information is more then 256 characters then switch the view to 'Advanced' and have at it.

One important note. Don't ever switch back to the 'Simple' view and click in the 'Comments' field else all text past the first 258 characters will be lost whether you click on the 'Apply' or 'OK' buttons or not.

Woody, if your reading this post I would think this would make an excellent Windows XP Tip.

Ed Carden