New Lounger
    Thanks

Confused about template/macros (Word 2000)

I'm tearing my hair out so I hope somebody can help! I have created a new document template which contains a series of macros with shortcut keys. On MY machine they work fine.

I have copied the templates into the Word template folder on another machine and now they don't work. If I open a new document based on the new template and check the Macros organiser, none of the macros are shown for the current document - although if I choose to view macros available in the template, they are displayed and I can select 'Run' to activate them.

I had thought that if I created the macros in the template, they would be available to any documents created with that template. Interestingly, they don't work (i.e. the shortcut keys don't work) if I open the template itself, either.

Any ideas would be very welcome!

Thank you!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Confused about template/macros (Word 2000)

Are you absolutely sure that you stored the shortcut key assignments in the template, and not in Normal.dot? When you assign shortcuts, you can specifiy where they are stored - see screenshot. If they ended up in Normal.dot, they would be available on your PC, but not on another one.

That you don't see the modules (macros) in a document based on the template in the Organizer is normal. since the macros reside in the template, not in the document. If you open the template itself in the Organizer, you should see the modules.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.PNG (15.9 KB, 0 views)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Hans, thanks for your advice.

I know that the macros are in the specific template because I can see them in the organiser when I select the template - I can also run them from here.

I've just taken it a step further and copied the normal.dot from my machine to the other machine and now it works. However I can't install normal.dot on other user machines for obvious reasons! I'm baffled!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I have no doubt that the macros in the template. Your description of when you can or cannot use the keyboard shortcuts means, as I suggested, that you stored the keyboard shortcuts in Normal.dot instead of your template. You will have to:
    - Open your template.
    - Select Tools | Customize...
    - Click Keyboard...
    - Select your template in "Save changes in" (see screenshot in my previous reply.)
    - Redo all keyboard shortcut assignments. (Yes, this is necessary!)
    - Save the template.
    You should then be able to distribute the template, and use the keyboard shortcuts without copying Normal.dot too.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Aha! Apologies, I misinterpreted your first post - your instructions have worked so many many thanks!!