archerbarrie

Checking a CD ROM

Does anyone know of a method to check a CD ROM? I created a CDR (using a network CD writer) of part of my filestore and later found that some of it was unreadable on my local CD reader. So what I want is something that will check that everything on a CD is readable.

Right clicking on a CD device does not offer you the Tools tab with "Check Now..." as is available for a fixed disc. SCANDISK and CHKDSK do not work. Even doing a text search in Explorer does not work because it silently ignores any files it cannot read!

I am using W2K Pro.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Checking a CD ROM

newer cdr writing programs offer the capability to verify the cd, but in my experience it is no help - the cd wasn't readable on another drive.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I seem to recall reading that CD-Rs will only work in CD-ROM Drives created after the first quarter of 1997 (ie starting around April 97). That is when a so called "standard" was developed and agreed upon by "the authorities that be".

If I'm wrong, somebody please correct me. But I think that depending on the age of your local CD-ROM, you may not be able to read the CD.

Also, make sure that when you eject the CD-R / CD-RW after creating it, that you "close" the CD so that it can be read in most CD-ROM drives. This is a common problem at work for some of the users I support.
    Christopher Baldrey

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

the whole disk would not be readable - and seems worse on cdrw but htere is a udf packet reader utility that helps.

but it's possible if he made a multisession cd (wrote to it then came back and added more) that it's because of the older drive and it's inability to multisessions. (AFAIK, udf doesn't help that) my experience has been it's only the first session that's seen.