Thread: updall2m.exe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

updall2m.exe

I believe I have a tapeworm on my machine. Everytime I reboot my machine I get a dos prompt window with the cursor jumping all over the screen and then huge files start getting sent to a printer. Investigation has shown that it is caused by this updall2m.exe program, but I can't get rid of it. I delete it and it comes back.

My IT department has investigated and they can't remove it either.

Any suggestions?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: updall2m.exe

I would point your IT department to <post#=296439>post 296439</post#> and ask them to install and run for example AdAware and Spybot Search and Destroy.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

All of the programs mentioned in the post you pointed to were installed and tried. They actually got rid of a lot of stuff that was on my machine, and it is working better, still, they can't get rid of this thing!

Any other suggestions?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You might try AutoRuns from SysInternals. It gives a very complete overview of things that run automatically when you start your computer. It may help pinpoint how updall2m.exe is activated.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

If you Google on UPDALL2M there are three hits, the second of which suggests you get and run the Ad-Aware VX2 plug-in cleaner.

Even though a new version of Ad-Aware has come out in the last week or two (Ad-Aware SE Personal, 1.02) it seems that the VX2 plug-in hasn't (yet?) been updated, so I hope it will work with whichever version of Ad-Aware you've installed.

John

PS There's a post on one of the support forums dated 8 August which says that the download it contains works on all version of Ad-Aware, so it looks as though you should be OK.

PPS I would say that a couple of months ago we had something which the previous version of Ad-Aware said was VX2-related, but the VX2 plugin didn't recognise!
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll try it!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have finally gotten rid of my awful file and thought I would pass on what I did.

I went to the sysinternals website (www.sysinternals.com) and downloaded their freeware program autoruns.exe. This told me what programs were running when windows started. In there was a program called xxmpygakiynnj (suspicious looking to say the least). The properties associated with it were: C:Windowssystem32cagkfj.exe. I removed this file and my machine now appears to be working properly.

Score one for Woody's and nil for our own IT departmenta! (Mind you the IT department had checked all the spyware applications that were suggested in this forum).

Thanks again for all your help!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Susan

Glad you removed the nefarious creature (critter?)?

There are a couple of programs which will dynamically monitor any changes to the startup locations:
    StartupMonitor, by Mike Lin
    and
    the TeaTimer option of Spybot - Search and Destroy

You can easily Google for these. StartupMonitor takes a tiny fraction of the amount of CPU required by TeaTimer, although TeaTimer is somewhat more comprehensive (I observe, since I run both on my XP box!).

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Administrator
    Thanks

John,

Do you use the Tea Timer option? I run StartupMonitor at home. But if Tea Timer works well I'd just as soon get rid of Strtup Monitor as that would be on less program to track.

Joe

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Joe

As I said, I use both!

There hasn't been an update for StartupMonitor in living memory, as far as I am aware (my EXE is dated 20 May 2000), but TeaTimer is likely to be flakier since it allegedly looks in more locations, and they seem to be doing a lot of "messing" with it.

John

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Administrator
    Thanks

John,

Oops. Speed glancing (not really reading...). Missed the last parenthetical thought. Have you had any specific problems with Tea Timer? Which one nabs an offender first?

Joe

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Joe

No, I haven't had anything attempt to install something wicked on my PC (or nor should I, as a careful sort of chap!). I observe with some amusement the flurry of messages which accompany a hot fix, where occasionally the messages from TeaTimer exceed those from StartupMonitor.

The only "problem" I have have is with TeaTimer on my venerable and ancient 133 MHz NT4 box, where
    TeaTimer takes 4% of the CPU (11

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Administrator
    Thanks

John,

I'm running a 533 Mhz PIII at home. That seems venerable enough to me that I'm always concerned about adding additional overhead. I prefer the StartupMonitor approach of 'change' detection. It seems more similar to manner most firewalls operate. Thanks for the information.

Joe