Lounger
    Thanks

Cnnecting to an Access database via VPN/DSL (MS Access 2000/Windows Server

We are trying to connect to an Access database on a Windows 2003 Server, with the programs installed locally and the tables in a back-end database (on the Server).

The database isn't small, but it is taking an inordinate length of time to open. Even creating a local blank database and linking to one table in the back-end (on the Server) that only holds one record can take between 45-60 seconds to open and display that one record.

We have established that there is not a problem with our broadband connection or DSL router.

Has anyone else experienced this (or a similar) problem, or have any advice? Would moving the tables to SQL Server help?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Cnnecting to an Access database via VPN/DSL (MS Access 2000/Windows Se

Working in that mode is almost never viable - even with full T1 or T3 connections. We've tried it under a number of different scenarios and never found a satisfactory solution. What does work reasonably well is using the Windows Terminal Services feature that is available on 2003 Server. I routinely work that way with databases on my partner's 2003 server, and I also support an Access FE, SQL Server BE in Washington State that way. In that scenario, both the FE and the BE (Access or SQL Server) reside on the server, and all that is sent to/from your remote workstation is screen paints, mouse clicks and keystrokes. I should add that PC Anywhere and Citrix are also viable solutions. It's never been clear why things are so slow trying to use an Access FE on the remote workstation with a BE on the server - that certainly works well on 10 or 100MB LANs. For some reason, it seems porportionally much slower over even fast WAN connections.
    Wendell

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cnnecting to an Access database via VPN/DSL (MS Access 2000/Windows Se

Thanks Wendell.