Star Lounger
    Thanks

Section (Word 2002 (XP))

In a Word 2002 (10.6612.6626) SP3 document's footer, I'm using the following entry using fields as indicated:
    Page { PAGE } of { SECTIONPAGES * Arabic * MERGEFORMAT }
    The ONSCREEN display of the fields is perfect, but the unfortunate results when I print follow this pattern:
    Page 50 of 50
    Page 51 of 51
    etc.
    where the current page number is correct (within its section), but the total page count in the section is bogus.
    I thought that Microsoft had fixed this bug one or two releases ago with the "Basic" page numbering Autotext entry, and I don't reacll this ever being a problem with the SECTIONPAGES field.
    I tried printing it with the Acrobat PDF driver, and the "bad" section page numbers appear in there, too, unless I print in reverse order.

Any clues or (better yet) a workaround that won't involve shuffling hundreds of reverse-ordered pages?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Section (Word 2002 (XP))

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans. Interestingly, my Update Fields checkbox was not marked....but the good old "print in reverse order" workaround still works.
    I experimented with the recommended option (from that KB article), and my results were that updating the fields had no effect at all on the incorrect sectionpage numbers. The only thing I've found that corrects it is printing in reverse order.

I got access to a duplex printer, so it won't be a hardship...just another Microsoft nuisance.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Does it make any difference if you go to Tools/Options/Compatibility/ & change the checkmark for "Use printer metrics to lay out document?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Phil, I can't answer the question...and I'm stumped. This morning, the same document prints the correct page number and sectionpagenumber _without_ using reverse-order printing, and with- or without setting the "printer metrics" layout option.

Now I'm more troubled by why it _is_ working than by why it wasn't. I'd feel better with a consistently broken Word function (something I'm accustomed to) than with an unpredictable one.

If I learn more, I'll share.