Thanks

Error in VBA Help file (Office XP SP1)

I don't quite know what's gone wrong with my VBA help file. The links along the top that normally say things like "See Also" are little boxes with a dot in the middle and I get the following error when I try to click a link in a document.

I recently updated to SP1. I also installed OneNote SP1. Any thoughts? What should I do to fix?

Thanks,
    Kim

Thanks

Re: Error in VBA Help file (Office XP SP1)

Do you have both Office XP and Office 2003 installed? (Not saying that's fatal, but it's a bit confusing...)

There have been numerous vulnerabilities in IE relating to local files. Microsoft issues a killer patch that disables the pop-up help, then issues a registry tweak or patch to make the functionality work again. Then with the next update it includes a little note that you might need to re-do the tweak or counter-patch after the new update, etc. etc. etc.

I'm not sure what all updates you have done, but if you go back to the articles that match their Q numbers and look at the details/FAQs, you may find something on this. Or post the update numbers here and someone will have a look.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hello, Jscher2000 asked me to post the error messages I get when I try to go to underlined words in Word 2003 help panels. I have no idea how to get the entire message box into this post since it does not copy or anything. So, here is what I get:

Line 1
    Char 3
    Error Object expected
    Code 0
    mk:@MSITStore:C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOFFICE111033WDMAIN11.CHM::/html/NormalView.htm

Do you want to continue running scripts on this page?

Now when I click on other text, I get a slightly different message. for example:

mk:@MSITStore:C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOFFICE111033WDMAIN11.CHM::/html/codecSaveADocument2.htm

Any ideas? And please note that I am NOT very savvy when it comes to this kind of stuff -- think REALLY SIMPLE, and then downgrade it several levels!

Thanks to my betters!

Paul C

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

As Jefferson pointed out, this may be due to a Microsoft update/patch. See MSKB article Links in HTML Help Topics Are Unavailable or No Longer Work.

Thanks

Thanks to all,

Hans, I will check the link. I searched the MSoft KB, but just couldn't get enough words together to either get any hits or less than 200!

Jefferson, I have Office XP installed, but also installed the stand-alone OneNote.

But given the info in your posts, I suspect I need to repatch.

Will post results.

Kim

Thanks

It was indeed a patch that was necessary.

I put my computer into the hands of Windows update and let it patch for me, so I'm not certain which of the 7 patches installed actually did the trick. VBA Help is now working the way it should.

Thanks much,
    Kim