New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows XP desktop problem (XP SP1)

A friend of mine running a DELL 2400 with XP Pro has encountered the following problem - about a month ago he received some sort of message including the words TROJAN DOWNLOADER - he religiously keeps his McAfree A/V software up to date - and he tells me that McAfee intercepted a virus (good!).

However, his desktop theme/background now ALWAYS appears white and is unchangeable. When I watched the boot process I noticed that his selected desktop theme does in fact come up after sign-on, but is then overwritten/hijacked(?) by this white "sheet" leaving one with the impression that the desired desktop is "behind" the white sheet.

Also, when the properties menu option is selected with the right hand mouse button when pointing to a free space on the desktop, none of the expected DISPLAY options appear.

Has anyone encountered this problem and if so what actions were taken to rectify it?

Tnx
    Mike

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows XP desktop problem (XP SP1)

I've not had this problem, but the (usual) next thing to do is check for spyware. Please see <!post=this Star Post,296439>this Star Post<!/post> for some excellent advice.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Windows XP desktop problem (XP SP1)