3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Internet Free/Busy (2003)

I understand that the new service pack for office 2003 kills off Internet Free/Busy. I just started using IFB on my small network and it is great. You don't need Exchange or even an internet connection, just a shared folder on one of the network computers, and you can share Outlook calendars. Why is MS killing it? Does anyone have anything to replace it that works the same way?

Fafner

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Internet Free/Busy (2003)

The web based service offered by Microsoft is being discontinued from October 15th.

Details of what options are removed from Outlook 2003 by SP1 are shown in MSKB 842166

You can publish free/busy information to any server that you have read/write permissions (details of how to do this are shown in above links).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I read KB842166 (thank you for pointing me to it) and I admit I am confused. It seems to say that IFB is still available if we have our own server. So if that is the case, what does SP-1 do do IFB? Does it just remove the option for signing up for the Microsoft server, or does it disable IFB in some other way? I am just using a shared folder on one of the computers on my network to hold the IFB information. So does this mean that SP-1 won't affect that? This is not clear.

Fafner

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft are removing the option to host the IFB information on a Microsoft server. They also removed a couple of options with SP-1 from the Free/Busy options dialog as shown below. You can still use IFB to publish the data on your own server. As you are using your own server you should be able to carry on normally.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for clearing this up. I was holding off applying the service pack for this reason, but now I see that applying it won't be a problem for my !FB use.

Fafner