Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Using router to connect cable modem

A few days ago I had a cable modem installed for internet access. I want to connect it to a router (USR Model 8054) so I can access the internet from both a laptop(Win98) and a desktop(WinXP). If the cable modem is connected directly to the desktop, I can access the internet beautifully from the desktop, but the minute I connect the modem to the router's WAN port and the desktop to one of the LAN ports with Cat5 cables, the internet stops working and I get "Cannot find server or DNS error" for every web address I try. The LAN light stays green, but the WAN light flashes yellow. I haven't even tried connecting the laptop yet. I ran ipconfig and all the addresses looked OK. I rebooted the computer as well. It's probably one simple setting somewhere that I need to change, but I can't figure it out. Please help. I'm so frustrated.

Thanks

Re: Using router to connect cable modem

Just a quick thought:
    Is it possible the cable you were using to connect to the modem is a cross-over cable, and if so, are you using it instead of the 'standard' patch cable which may be needed for connecting between the router and everything else?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If your cable provider is anything like mine (Insight) the first time you connected, their system recorded the MAC address of your NIC or some process similar to that. Now, you've essentially "changed hardware" by putting the router into the equation. If your cable company doesn't have an IP address for you to plug in to your browser that connects your equipment directly to their "verification" web site (mine did) you may have to call them and ask for on-phone help for certification. You should have been given an account number and maybe other info that they will use to verify who you are.

Edited to add: I forgot to talk about your router. I would assume you have it set for DHCP rather than manually assigning IP address to the two computers. You should also check the router's setup screens to make sure you have it set to receive an IP address automatically from cable. I think you HAVE done that but just be sure. Open the router's setup screens and see if there is a "Status" tab, similar to my Linksys, and check both the LAN and WAN numbers it's using. If you see (WAN) an IP address and DNS server numbers, you could try backtracing or a Whois address to make sure it IS your cable provider.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your help so far.

Bigal, I have a feeling you're right about the cable company setting the modem to look for the MAC address of the NIC. My cable provider is roadrunner. I tried calling them on Friday after my first attempt, since the internet wasn't working after I put everything back they way they installed it. I just had to reset the cable modem it by temporarily unplugging it from the AC outlet. I asked about help to set up the router, but they said they don't help with that. Perhaps I didn't ask the right questions though.

The router is set for DHCP, but you lost me on the making sure its set to receive an IP address from the cable. I did look at the status and there are IP addresses listed under the LAN and WAN sections. I don't know how to backtrack or run the whois address though.

Leif, the cable is definitely a standard, straight patch cable.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You might also check the Troubleshooting and Tutorial links at PracticallyNetworked.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It sounds to me like you've got everything setup correctly. MOST cable companies will not help with a home network, so that's not unusual. Here's a link to one whois checker. If you'd like, you could make a screen shot of what you saw in the status section of the router's WAN numbers. Insight provides an IP address that takes your setup directly to their verification system. If RR didn't provide that, you may be stuck waiting to get them on the phone. By the way, you need to choose your words carefully when you talk to them. You're NOT asking them to help you with a network! You ARE asking them to help you GET CONNECTED to RR! The fact that you're doing it through a router is a snag but they should be willing to work with you.

Lounger
    Thanks

May I offer a few thoughts on this issue to you make sure your router is allowing internet access. I use Linksys routers which have an option to allow/not allow access for each IP address.. Maybe your router has the same function. Also RR, at last I heard, allowed home networking. Should you call them back tell them you cannot connect to the internet so your paying for a service not received. Make sure your router is set to "gateway" rather then "router" if you have that option also. It will still finction as a router but also act as a gateway to the internet. Make sure you have all virus protection programs, firewalls including Windows XP one on all your machines turned off. Also if you have any pop up stopeprs turn those off also. Once the internet connection is up and running you can add the programs back in place. Good luck and welcome to the wonderfull world of networking...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I called RR and the fellow I spoke with seemed prepared to try and help me, but when I told him it was a USR router, he said they only have 3rd party support for Linksys, Netgear, D-link and some other type, but NOT USR. He didn't know anything about USR. That was a dead end. He suggested I call the USR support, which I will do Tuesday when their lines open up again. I'm starting to wonder if the problem isn't betweent the USR 8054 router and the Toshiba PCX2200 cable modem. I can never get the WAN light to turn green when I connected them together. It just stays yellow. I tried connecting them with a straight cable and a crossover cable. No difference.

Bigal, I did the whois (thanks) and RR did show up when I plugged in the IP address. The WAN section on the routers status screen show the following:
    IP address 68.206.176.97 (** which turned out to be RR **)
    Subnet mask 255.255.240.0
    Default gateway 68.206.176.1
    DNS 208.231.96.12 209.16.64.2

One odd thing I noticed on the WAN address is that the subnet Mask has 240 in it. I thought subnet masks were always 255.255.255.0. What's with the 240??

T-man, I did not notice any options on the router setup to select gateway OR router, or to disallow access to certain IP addresses.

On another note, I'm a little concerned that from time to time we get things showing up on our screen that say "Messenger service" and discuss offers for high school diplomas. We find these messages when we come to sit at the computer after being away from it for a while.

And right now I'm just too tired and frustrated to think straight. I can't find anything in the troubleshooting or FAQ sections that deals with the WAN light staying yellow on top of the fact that the internet won't work. I need some sleep. I hope the support people at USR can shed some light on this.

Thanks for all your great suggestions, ideas and tips so far.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I also checked the addresses, and I don't know about the two DNS servers - but I hope that is who RR is using. From the looks of it, the router does seem to be "seeing" RR through the cable modem (I think). Let's talk about the LAN now, 'cause I'm not too sure your machine is seeing the router. How about opening a CMD window and do this: IPCONFIG /ALL. If you could either post a screenshot or enter the nums as you did before. I'd like to see if your PC is accepting the router as its DHCP server and gateway and the PC getting an IP address from the router. If your router works "as usual" the addresses should be in the 192.168.x.x range. The CMD window, if the router and computer are setup correctly, should also show the two DNS IP nums you saw on the router. Come on back...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That's just it. All that info is correct. When I ran ipconfig /all this is what I got:

Windows IP Configuration:
    Host name - 2y9s401
    Primary Dns suffix (blank)
    Node type - Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled - no
    WINS Proxy Enabled - no

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix (blank)
    Description (network card info here)
    Physical address (MAC address here, probably for NIC I guess since it doesn't match the router or modem)
    Dhcp Enabled - yes
    Autoconfig Enabled - yes
    IP Address 192.168.123.100
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway 192.168.123.254
    DHCP Server 192.168.123.254
    DNS Servers 208.231.96.12

All the LAC stuff looks to me like it's correct. Could the Windows IP config be a problem?

Lounger
    Thanks

The "messanger " messages you are getting is a clear indication you are connected to the internet. The messanger service is suppose to be used by network administrators to send messages internally. Windows has a security "hole" (surprise, surprise!), that allows outsiders to access this service and send messages. To stop this do the following on each computer: right click on MY Computer and open Manage in the pop down window, find Services and Applications, left hand window, may have to open several layers, and click on the plus sign to open under it., click on services and allow it to populate the right hand window. On the right hand side go down till you find Messanger and high light it, right click and select Properties, then change the startup type to DIsabled. Hit apply, OK and reboot. That will stop the messages coming in from outside.
    I am not familar with your router type so cannot explain why your getting a yellow light, however I would suggest trying a differant cable to see if that works (including the one that came with RR or the modium). Let us know if anything changes.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

T-man, thanks for the tip on the messenger service. It's disabled now.

I've already tried two cables. One that' a straight cable and another crossover cable. The crossover cable is one I've been using to connect 2 PCs directley together through the NICs.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I spent 15 minutes on the phone with USR tech support and it still isn't working. He suggested that I try to connect from another PC in the house, so I'm off to set up the wireless connection on the old laptop running Win98. This is my first attempt at a wireless configuration. I hope it works better than setting up the cable modem on the router.

The reason for his suggestion was to rule out the possibility that something on the desktop is preventing it from working.

Platinum Lounger
    Hornsby Heights, New South Wales, Australia
    Thanks

Can you actually "talk" to the router ? http://192.168.123.254 should give you the configuration menu (default username = admin , no password). In any case, I'd suggest that you reset the router (keep the reset button pressed in for 10 seconds) and start off with an entirely clean slate. I've got a friend who could not connect until he reset the router and started from scratch.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I was able to get the wireless card installed in the laptop and got the two computers talking to each other. Unfortunately the internet connection didn't work any better. I called USR again and was on the phone for an hour. At the end of the conversation the tech told me that he would upgrade my call to a Level 2 and someone would call me back in 24 hours. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

Claude, the only thing I can talk to is the router. If all else fails, I'll be sure to give that reset button a try.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast