New Lounger
    Thanks

Password Protection

I use a networked computer in a large business. A member of the business has gotten in the habit of looking through everyone's files. I understand how to password protect individual files using the different Office products and how to password protect the entire computer, but how do you password protect folders to prevent the unwanted snooper from entering them. I am looking for an alternative to having to move large numbers of folders and files to individual disks. They are in high use (some files are shared) and individual disks could prove to be a hassle. No, I have not had an opportunity to invest in some of the latest technology of high capacity disk storage for this computer. And I would rather find an easier/broader method than individually protecting every file.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Password Protection

Tell us more about this network, Ie is Novel, NT , Windows 2000 or Peer to peer?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

The network is Peer-to-peer. My computer is the link to a laser printer for a few other computers. There are a total of nine computers in the office.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

set your hard drives as not shared

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not up to speed on peer-to-peer, but you can set access levels and passwords on the Sharing tab in Windows, if that is of any use to you.
    Granville

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks a bunch. That works great. Took the cue and checked out individual folders (My Documents) and was able to list it as shared while the drive is listed as not shared. That way common documents can be accessed while limiting access to the rest of my hard drive. Perfect solution for that nosy snooper.