3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

linking files (Excel 2000)

I am working with corporte budgets. I have over 100 files linked together up to the top file. Basically, the branch offices link to the region offices which link to the division which to the corporate budget. Now I am told that the division folder has gotten too big. I am supposed to put the branch offices together in one folder with the respective region. Is there a way to move these files and still retain the links so as not to upset the formulas that I have in place?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: linking files (Excel 2000)

That sounds like a bear. Do any of your links skip levels (i.e. do Division files ever link to Branch files, or do Divisions only link to Regions.) I'm hoping the links don't skip levels. Here are a few suggestions that might help:

1. You could open all of the Region and Branch files and do "Save As" on the branch files to the new directory. This will cause all links to Branch files to change. You can then delete the Branch files from their original location.
    2. You could use search and replace to change the links. Move all of the Branch files to their new directories. Then open the Region files and replace clddirectorybranch1.xls with c:newdirectorybranch1.xls. For each Branch name, do a Replace instead of a Replace All for the first instance. If you messed up the new file name, Excel says the new file can't be found and asks for a new name. If you do a Replace, you only need to fix your error once. If you do Replace All, you'll have to do this for every instance where Excel tries to replace the old file with the new messed up file name.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: linking files (Excel 2000)

Thank you. What I did was make the new folders first. Then I cut the old files and pasted in the appropriate folder. Next I opened the main file and did an pdate to Edit Links. It took a while, but I think it worked. Of course before doing any of this I copied the original folder (which almost brought down the server!) Thank you.