3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Printing Attachment stops mid stream (Outlook 2000 CW SR1)

I have searched through the many (many many) previous posts re-printing attachments but none seem to have this problem.
    Settings are such that ctrl+p prints e-mail plus the attachment. If , however, the attachment is an image file (tif) then the application stops after opening the image and waits for user to run through the print process. As a one-off it's not too inconvenient, but when I want to print say 50 off at a time, then it's labour intensive which kind of defeats the object.
    Any help in this would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
    Alan
    Cheshire

ps. IT tried third party software but when it prints, the edges are missing from the page, as if it has either large margins or the image is expanded to say 110%. Changing the page setup style makes no difference to this printing method. XP Pro

Thanks

Re: Printing Attachment stops mid stream (Outlook

Is the Windows XP picture/fax viewer opening? You can change the default application for printing JPG, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, etc. files using Windows' File Types dialog (Windows Explorer, Tools>Folder Options...>File Types). However, this is slow and arduous, and what would you want to use in its place? On my system, all of these but BMP are handled by Microsoft Photo Editor, the tool that comes with Office 2000 and XP. I believe this must be added in a Custom install, and is not installed by default. Once it is installed, it takes over the open and print duties for JPG, JPEB, GIF and PNG. If you prefer to open in the preview utility and print using Photo Editor, it gets more complicated, I suppose; I haven't tried to divide the duties that way. (Also, I always print my attachments separately, if at all. But that's just me.) Hope this helps.

Ooops

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,
    Yep, the picture fax/viewer is opening with the attachment image fullscreen and then it just waits for user actions.
    The default application for TIF images (and TIFF) is set to shimgvw.exe for viewing and printing. (no results when searching for shimgvw on microsoft)
    Additional for opening is %1
    Additional for printing is /pt %1 %2 %3 %4

Other attachments, if other than TIFF, all seem to print no problem in their native applications.

TIA
    Alan

Thanks

Unless you have another application which can print TIFF files, I'm not sure what to suggest... You could try Acrobat Reader; it has a command string that can be used to print PDF files without first opening them and I have read that it can open some (but not all) TIFF files.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks JScher, that's pretty much the direction I was heading as well. Alternate application will now be tried, I'll post update if/when it works.
    TIA
    Alan
    Cheshire

Thanks

Now continued in the General Office forum - see <post#=400220>post 400220</post#>