4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot Fire Event (XP Professional)

In my workplace there have been several new computers installed with Windows XP Professional Installed.

A special (Departmental) image has been created and it appears that there is some sort of security set that stops the use of macros. The IT branch are trying to resolve the problem with no success, so I am hoping that someone at the Lounge may be able to point me in the right direction.

On a single computer, if I log on I cannot fire macros in a Word Document but there is one person in our office who when logged on CAN use the document with macros!!

Any ideas?

Kerry

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cannot Fire Event (XP Professional)

In Word, select Tools | Macro | Security...
    If macro security is set to High, macros will not run unless the template that contains them has been digitally signed. The recommended setting is Medium. However, it is possible that a policy is in force that prevents users from changing the security settings. If so, that can be changed by the network administator.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans

I already tried that. It makes no difference. The security settings are set in Windows itself. Unfortunately the network administrator ( our rather antiquated IT section) do not know what they have done in the policy cause this issue. An image on a recently purchased Laptop does not experience the same problem.

I wonder if there is a way to compare images?

Kerry

Thanks

This setting probably is stored as a Policy in the Registry. I have nothing to go from on my own system, but you could try here:

HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwarePoliciesMicrosoft

Also, the Office XP Resource Kit's section on Administrative Templates might be helpful. The setting "Disable VBA for ALL Office applications" sounds particularly ominous!