5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

All Users Application Data (XP Pro (SP1))

I'm trying to tidy up my start menu. The fact that some programs are located in the All Users menu and some in the Individual user menu is confusing. More to the point I want to create my own directories to put programs in. If I create a directory in the All User menu it doesn't show up in a user account menu. How can I get programs from different menus into the same directory

So far I've tried duplicating the directory structure. For example, In All Users create a directory called "applications" and in my Users menu create a folder with the same name. This seems to show just one folder on the Start Menu called Applications containing items from both Start Menus. But Is this idea sound (not sure whether I've explained it very well)?

Thanks,

Chris

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: All Users Application Data (XP Pro (SP1))

Chris,

XP combines the entries from All Users and the User account to give one view when the graphical start menu is accessed. I've never had a problem creating folders under the 'Start Menu' in All Users or a User and adding/moveing/modifying icons. I guess I'm confused about what you are attempting or what result your are expecting. Can you post a screen shot?

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If you want ALL the items available to ALL users, then move the items to the "All Users" groupings. This needs to be done using "Windows Explorer" and move items from the "User" document and Settings area to the "All Users" area.

Also, how are you checking to see that the new items in the All users menu are there?
    If you are using "Switch User", then try logging out and then logging in as the different user.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the replies, sorry for not being clearer. I wasn't sure if it was OK to move items for a user menu into the ALL User menu so I made a duplicate directory structure for the ALL User menu and my user menu. I haven't created a second user menu yet as I wanted to get the start menu sorted out before duplicating the User profile. The structure I made seems to be working in that I don't have duplicate directories with the same name appearing in the Start Menu. But if it is OK to move items to the ALL user menu then I will do that as it seems tidier. I have a related question about the My Documents folder but I'll make a separate post for it.

Thanks again,

Chris

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

It is OK to move what you want to the All Users section. If you create other users the only thing you may need to check is that the new user has permissions to access and write as required for the programs that will be available becasue they are in the All Users section.

Joe
    Joe