Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Time calculation!!! (Excel 2000 >)

This is probably an easy question for some of you geniuses out there!
    See attachment for reference!
    I need a formula to calculate the difference between 2 dates in HH:MM.
    If I have a cell containing 18/08/2004 15:30 and another cell containing 19/08/2004 10:15, how can I work out the difference in HH:MM...(ie 23:45)???
    Regards,
    Rudi

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Time calculation!!! (Excel 2000 >)

Hi, you just do a simple subtraction, and then format the cell with a customised time format - hh:mm

see attach!
    Thanks,

pmatz

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Many thanks...
    This has since developed into another question! Once I have the hours value, say 37:45, how can I convert that back into days and hours.

ie, My formula say returns 49:45. i now want another calc to convert this into days hours and minutes, 2:1:45....(2 days 1 hour and 45 min)...Any ideas???
    Regards,
    Rudi

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Rudis, if you select the cell with the answer in (same calculation - one time minus the other) and hit CTRL 1 to go to format.

Then go to the custom format. Here is where you can change the format of the answer, so dd:hh:mm will give you days, minutes and hours, whilst hh:mm will give you hours and minutes. You can free type these values where it says :Type: .

The two date values which are being calculated give a result as a time/date value, so it is just a mtatter of formatting for your preference.

Does this help?
    Thanks,

pmatz

Thanks

dd:hh:mm format will only be good up to 31 days (Jan has only 31 days) and will then be "reset" to 1 (for Feb)

AFAIK, Excel has no "elapsed" day built-in format. like it does for minutes [m] and hrs [h] to change from "day of month" to "elapsed days

Steve

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Guys, thanx for your comments and suggestions.

M?tz, (don't know where that character is??), you suggestion on formatting has satisfied my need, and I can get by with its returns, but as Steve has mentioned, I still am going to have temporary problems with the dd:hh:mm option. I see that if the time difference is more than say a month, the dd part loops back to 1 and not ie. 32!!!

Is there any other possible solution to this, maybe by using functions or other calculative methods. If I could get any other suggestions from anyone I would highly appreciate it!!! I am still searching myself for a answer.

For anyone that missed the question of this post: If I have a hours return from a calculation between 2 dates, I need the hours to display in DD:HH:MM format. IE say I have 49:30 (HH:MM), I want it to display 2:1:30 (DD:HH:MM), even if the date difference is more than a month??

Any help is appreciated!
    Regards,
    Rudi

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

As Steve indicated, the formatting options that Excel provides do not support such a format, and it doesn't allow you to mix number and time formatting in the same cell. So the only workaround I see is to use a formula in another cell. Say that A1 contains the total time. In cell B1, enter this formula:
    <pre>=INT(A1)&":"&TEXT(A1,"uu:mm")</pre>

The result is a text value, so it cannot be used in calculations; you must use A1 in calculations. But, if desired, you can hide A1.

Thanks

<hr>=INT(A1)&":"&TEXT(A1,"uu:mm")<hr>

Perhaps you were too "quick-fingered" and meant perhaps?
    =INT(A1)&":"&TEXT(A1,"hh:mm")

Steve

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Thanx all :-)

I will not be using the results in a calculation so the formula you have given is PERFECT!!!! It does exactly what I need!
    Regards,
    Rudi

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It should be "hh" indeed. I used ActiveCell.Formula to get the English version of the formula, but this is one of the rare situations in which VBA does NOT use US English consistently - the "u" is from the Dutch word for hour. Thanks for pointing it out.

Thanks

I assumed a "fat-finger" since the "U" and "H" are right near each other, I don't know Dutch so I didn't guess that possibility.

Steve