2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Formatting (XP pro sp1)

Good day to you all, My laptop has for some unknown reason decided that disc e is unformatted and to access it i must format it? I have run virus scans , spyware scans all clean, has anyone come accross this problem before. Also the wireless network card has stopped functioning, I dont know if this is related or coincidentall. Thanks in advance Gws.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Formatting (XP pro sp1)

What is disc e supposed to be?

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Joe, Disc e is part of my hard drive, it is partitioned into several different discs. Drive e in this case happens to have all my web and programming apps on it. Since I first posted I have tried to use the XP system restore however this goes all through the motion of restoreing my system to an earlier date, reboots and then tells me it was unable to restore my system to an earlier date! I have also tried Easy recovery data recover software without much luck. This really is quite strange, I have never seen a hard disc partition loose it's formatting before. Cheers Gws.

Administrator
    Thanks

First, I think you may be misunderstanding system restore. Here's a couple fo things to read: Microsoft Windows XP System Restore & Frequently Asked Questions Regarding System Restore in Windows XP. Second, have you made any changes to the PC (i.e. added or removed hardware, add,updated or removed software, etc.)? Does anyone else have access to the machine?

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Joe, Yes you are right I thought system restore created more of a disk image than it does. As far as I am aware no changes have been made to the laptop nor has anyone else used it. I have a full acronis disc image of the laptop on my server, but as the wifi card doesn't seem to want to work i shall obtain a cross over cable to-morrow and run the backup and see what happens. Thanks for your help Graham

Administrator
    Thanks

Graham,
    Have you run a full A/V scan? What about scans with Spybot & Adaware? I fear you either have a hardware problem or some malware. A partition won't just disappear.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Joe, I have had to bight the bullet and reformat the hard drive and then restore from a backup, I needed my laptop for work. All is well as I write this. Surprisingly the wifi card is now working OK. Before I did all this though I had run a full anti virus scan, a full scan with ad-aware and spybot, they did not show anything unusual. I also ran hijackthis just to see if something had hijacked me, all to no avail. My wife has since told me that some contractors chopped through the HV cable feeding my local sub station the day before yesterday, I dont know if this could have caused the problem as the laptop was on charge but not switched on. Perhaps I shall never know what caused it? Thanks very much for your help and interest, Cheers Graham.

Administrator
    Thanks

Graham,
    You're quite welcome. Just glad you got things back in working order. Won't hurt to keep Spybot & Ad-aware around for periodic use. Thansk for posting your solution too.

Joe
    Joe