Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Which Access version? (2000 sp-3/ 98SE)

I have just downloaded some "tutorial" files (http://www.tertiarypress.com.au/StudentRes...es/64582048.exe if anyone's interested) to accompany an Access training manual I'm going through. The working .MDB files therein open OK, but all of the "Solutions" generate the message attached. The book states explicitly that the course is designed for Access 2000.

Since I can't open these files directly, I'm wondering if there's any internal code that I might be able to check in a hex editor, to determine which version of Access they were actually made in.

thanks

Alan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Which Access version? (2000 sp-3/ 98SE)

These mdb appear to be in 2002-2003 format. I also can't open them in Access 2000 but well in Access 2003. If you want I convert them to Access 2000 for you, let me know it and also how I can send them to you as it will be bigger the the 100K allowed by the lounge (eventually in a pm).
    Francois

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Francois! That's very kind and, yes, I would much appreciate a copy converted into 2000 format. I have had no response from the publishers on this issue to date. I will send you a private mail with my e-mail details. Many thanks to you again.

Alan

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Alan,

I send you the converted files by e-mail.
    I could open each mdb in 2000, but don't have been further than the database window of each. I hope they haven't use some 2002-2003 functions.
    For the Excel file, I couldn't open it in 2000 and in 2003 when I open it, I get the same message as in 2000 but when I click cancel, the file open with an error message and it create a log file. I add the two files in the zip (errorscreen.gif and repair01188_01.txt).
    I don't know what the file should contain but I save the result in Suburb.xls and is also in the zip. I hope you can use it.
    I'm not an excel guy, so maybe you can put a question in the excel forum of the lounge about this message.
    Francois

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you so much for your efforts Francois. I will await your e-mail. Although the tutorial book I'm working through is quite good, the web "support" leaves something to be desired. I've still heard nothing back from the publishers on this issue of mismatched versions, and that .XLS file remains a mystery. I may follow your advice and post it to the XL lounge, and see if a guru or two there have any luck with it.

Many thanks again for all your time and effort.

Alan